General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Congratulations to Kaleb Macill! Your name was drawn in the LMC Reading Promotion. Please see Ms. Puga, or Ms Bowen in the LMC to choose your prize.
- FMHS will be collecting gifts for “X-Mas for Kids” through Friday for students aged 7-12. You can drop gifts off in the MPR or at the library. There will be a movie prize basket at the end of the day on Friday.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- No FMHS activities tonight.
- There will be a full member GSA meeting today in room 202 at 3:30 PM. Your popcorn sales are due at the meeting.
- There will be a DECA meeting tomorrow at 12:15 PM in room 402. All members should plan to attend. District permission forms and information will be distributed. Please remember to obtain a TST pass from Ms. Weisinger before the meeting. If you are unable to attend, please contact Ms. Weisinger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are interested in performing in the spring performance for the Drama Club, please attend a meeting tomorrow afternoon in the Little Theater at 3:30 PM.
- The FFA will be hosting a blood drive in room 202 on Friday. Please consider donating. You can sign up during lunch hat the table set up in the MPR, or see Ms. Slee for details.
- BooksRUs and the LMC Book Club is sponsoring a “Decorate a Tree Ornament” contest. Check in at the LMC for details.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Santa Store is looking for volunteers on Saturday from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The store is located at St. Paul Lutheran Church on 19th and Avenue I. Please contact Sandy Brown at (319) 470-3291 if you are interested.
- Staff Sergeant Migual A. Gamboa from the U.S. Marines will be here tomorrow during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Marines, please stop by his table and speak with him during your lunch period.
- No FMHS birthdays today.
- Chicken strips; cheese-stuffed breadstick; baked beans; Mandarin oranges; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Omit – verb [lawl]
- To leave undone, or exclude, either intentionally, or forgetfully. As in: a significant detail was omitted from your version of the events.
This Day in History: 1818 – Illinois is admitted as the 21st state of the United States of America.
Fact of the Day: Illinois presented unique challenges to immigrants unaccustomed to the vegetation of the area. Immigrants moving westward at the time of its settlement were accustomed to heavily-forested lands, and were baffled by the vast, treeless stretches of prairie. Most of those early pioneers believed the land to be infertile due to the lack of trees. By 1840, people had discovered that the land was as fertile as they had ever worked, and the population density of the state boomed.
Strange, but True: In 2011, massive swarms of midge bugs descended upon Iowa and Illinois, flying in vortex shapes nicknamed “bugnados.” The swarms posed a serious risk to the agriculture in the two states, causing an estimated $3 million in damages.
Quote of the Day: