General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Congratulations to Kerridwen Roberts! Your name has been drawn in the LMC Reading Promotion. Go to the library and see Ms. Bowen or Ms. Puga for your prize.
- FMHS student artwork was entered into the 2018 Iowa Scholastic Art Awards competition recently. The competition is statewide, and had over 1,000 entries. Congratulations to the following student winners:
- Lily Scott – 1st place in Mixed Media.
- Marina Mena – 1st place in Color Photography.
- Aiden Mesecher – 2nd place in Black & White Drawing.
- Rachel Hellman – 2nd place in Watercolor Painting.
- Deanna Warner – 3rd place in Color Drawing.
- FMHS will be collecting gifts for “X-Mas for Kids” through 12/7/18 for students aged 7-12. You can drop gifts off in the MPR or at the library.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Good luck to the boys basketball team at the HTC Jamboree this evening. Tip off is 7:00 PM.
- There will be an all-member GSA meeting today after school in room 202. This is the Friendsgiving meeting, so please bring a treat.
- BooksRUs and the LMC Book Club is sponsoring a “Decorate a Tree Ornament” contest. Check in at the LMC for details.
- Christmas for Kids is looking for volunteers to pump gas at Hy-Vee on Saturday, 12/1/18. The signup sheet is in the guidance office and will be picked up on Monday, 11/26/18. For questions, please contact Carrie Carson at (319) 670-0846.
- Velocity Dance and Tumbling in Fort Madison is looking for approximately 10 high school students to help with their winter dance recital. Volunteers would be backstage with performers helping with makeup, outfits, shoes, lineups, stage entrance, etc. The date of the recital is Saturday, 12/8/18. Recitals will be held at the Grand Theater in Keokuk from 10:00 AM to noon, and 4:15 to 7:15 PM. Any interested student should contact Ms. Arnold at email@example.com.
- Happy birthday to Ellie Baxter, Kimberly Burkhardt, Makayla Eastin, and Dillenger Orr.
- Spaghetti w/ meatballs; cheesy bread; green beans; pears; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Felicity – noun [feh-lis-city]
- The ability to find appropriate expresssion for one’s thoughts. As in: David expressed his feelings with his customary felicity.
This Day in History: 1863 – At the dedication of a military cemetery at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, during the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln delivers one of the most memorable speeches in American history. In just 272 words, Lincoln brilliantly and movingly reminded a war-weary public why the Union had to fight, and win, the Civil War.
Fact of the Day: The Battle of Gettysburg, fought some four months before Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address, was the single bloodiest battle of the Civil War. Over the course of three days, more than 45,000 men were killed, injured, captured or went missing.
Strange, but True: A man named W.V. Meadows was shot in the eye during the Battle of Gettysburg. Not only did he survive the battle and war, but 58 years later, he coughed the bullet out of his mouth.
Quote of the Day: