General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- FMHS student artwork was entered into the 2018 Iowa Scholastic Art Awards competition recently. The competition is statewide, and had over 1,000 entries. Congratulations to the following student winners:
- Lily Scott – 1st place in Mixed Media.
- Marina Mena – 1st place in Color Photography.
- Aiden Mesecher – 2nd place in Black & White Drawing.
- Rachel Hellman – 2nd place in Watercolor Painting.
- Deanna Warner – 3rd place in Color Drawing.
- FMHS will be collecting gifts for “X-Mas for Kids” through 12/7/18 for students aged 7-12. You can drop gifts off in the MPR or at the library.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- The wrestling team store can be accessed here. Orders are due by 11/19/18.
- This month is national DECA month. The Fort Madison DECA chapter will be celebrating by selling Candy Gram lollipops in the MPR during lunch this week. Send your someone special a sweet gram.
- Christmas for Kids is looking for volunteers to pump gas at Hy-Vee on Saturday, 12/1/18. The signup sheet is in the guidance office and will be picked up on Monday, 11/26/18. For questions, please contact Carrie Carson at (319) 670-0846.
- Velocity Dance and Tumbling in Fort Madison is looking for approximately 10 high school students to help with their winter dance recital. Volunteers would be backstage with performers helping with makeup, outfits, shoes, lineups, stage entrance, etc. The date of the recital is Saturday, 12/8/18. Recitals will be held at the Grand Theater in Keokuk from 10:00 AM to noon, and 4:15 to 7:15 PM. Any interested student should contact Ms. Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Happy birthday on Sunday to Sheymouhr Redd-Donald.
- Pizza; french fries; tropical fruit; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Exacerbate – verb [ig-zasser-bait]
- To make worse. As in: the steep price of land in urban areas only serves to exacerbate the gap between rich and poor.
This Day in History: 1959 – The Sound of Music, a musical based on the story of a young Austrian woman studying to become a nun during the spread of Naziism in Europe, debuts on Broadway.
Fact of the Day: The Sound of Music was an instant success, and numerous songs from its score, including “Do Re Mi,” “My Favorite Things” and “Climb Every Mountain,” quickly became hits. Recorded just a week after the show’s premiere, and released by Columbia Records, the album quickly shot to the top of the Billboard album charts.
Strange, but True: The title of The Sound of Music was lost in translation when it opened in Hong Kong. It was comically titled Fairy Music Blow Fragrant Place, Place Hear.
Quote of the Day: