General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Students: please check your trimester 2 schedules. If you would like a schedule change, you need to make an appointment in the guidance office to see your counselor. Schedule changes must be requested no later than Friday.
- FMHS will be collecting gifts for “X-Mas for Kids” from today through 12/7/18 for students aged 7-12. You can drop gifts off in the MPR or at the library.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Boys basketball is looking for managers for their season. If you are interested, please contact Coach Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The boys basketball team store can be accessed here. Orders are due by 11/15/18.
- The wrestling team store can be accessed here. Orders are due by 11/19/18.
- This month is national DECA month. The Fort Madison DECA chapter will be celebrating by selling Candy Gram lollipops in the MPR during lunch this week. Send your someone special a sweet gram.
- The Fort Madison Public Library is looking for assistants to help set up for their “Friends of the Library” book sale. Library staff will be setting up tomorrow afternoon between 4:00 and 6:00 PM. They will also need help on Saturday, 11/17/18 to help people carry purchases to their cars. Please contact Sarah Clendineng at (319) 372-5721 to volunteer your time.
- Christmas for Kids is looking for volunteers to pump gas at Hy-Vee on Saturday, 12/1/18. The signup sheet is in the guidance office and will be picked up on Monday, 11/26/18. For questions, please contact Carrie Carson at (319) 670-0846.
- Velocity Dance and Tumbling in Fort Madison is looking for approximately 10 high school students to help with their winter dance recital. Volunteers would be backstage with performers helping with makeup, outfits, shoes, lineups, stage entrance, etc. The date of the recital is Saturday, 12/8/18. Recitals will be held at the Grand Theater in Keokuk from 10:00 AM to noon, and 4:15 to 7:15 PM. Any interested student should contact Ms. Arnold at email@example.com.
- No FMHS birthdays today.
- Chicken parmesan w/ noodles; broccoli; peaches; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Bountiful – adjective [bown-ti-full]
- Producing in abundance. As in: the wheat harvest was so bountiful this year that grain overflowed storage facilities.
This Day in History: 1982 – Near the end of a weeklong national salute to Americans who served in the Vietnam War, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is dedicated in Washington after a march to its site by thousands of veterans of the conflict.
Fact of the Day: The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is a V-shaped black-granite wall inscribed with the names of the 57,939 Americans who died in the conflict, arranged in order of death rather than rank, as was common in other memorials. It is one of the most visited sites in the nation’s capital.
Strange, but True: The average age for a soldier in Vietnam was 19, a full seven years younger than the average age of a soldier in World War II. Because anyone enrolled in college received a deferment, 80% of American ground troops came from the lower classes. Vietnam saw a surge in protests as US involvement grew because of this disparity. The movement found a true champion in 1967 when heavyweight boxer Muhammad Ali was convicted of draft evasion and sentenced to five years in prison. Ali claimed his Muslim faith prevented him from fighting on moral grounds, famously saying, “I ain’t got no quarrel with the Viet Cong.” The Supreme Court overturned his conviction in 1971.
Quote of the Day: