General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Congratulations to Adyn Kelly. Your name was drawn in the LMC Reading Promotion. Go to the library and see Ms. Bowen or Ms. Puga to choose your prize.
- Students: please check your trimester 2 schedules. If you would like a schedule change, you need to make an appointment in the guidance office to see your counselor. Schedule changes must be requested no later than Friday.
- FMHS will be collecting gifts for “X-Mas for Kids” from today through 12/7/18 for students aged 7-12. You can drop gifts off in the MPR or at the library.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Boys basketball is looking for managers for their season. If you are interested, please contact Coach Wilson at email@example.com.
- The boys basketball team store can be accessed here. Orders are due by 11/15/18.
- The wrestling team store can be accessed here. Orders are due by 11/19/18.
- There is a GSA board member only meeting this afternoon at 3:30 PM in room 202.
- This month is national DECA month. The Fort Madison DECA chapter will be celebrating by selling Candy Gram lollipops in the MPR during lunch this week. Send your someone special a sweet gram.
- The Fort Madison Public Library is looking for assistants to help set up for their “Friends of the Library” book sale. Library staff will be setting up on Wednesday afternoon between 4:00 and 6:00 PM. They will also need help on Saturday, 11/17/18 to help people carry purchases to their cars. Please contact Sarah Clendineng at (319) 372-5721 to volunteer your time.
- Christmas for Kids is looking for volunteers to pump gas at Hy-Vee on Saturday, 12/1/18. The signup sheet is in the guidance office and will be picked up on Monday, 11/26/18. For questions, please contact Carrie Carson at (319) 670-0846.
- Velocity Dance and Tumbling in Fort Madison is looking for approximately 10 high school students to help with their winter dance recital. Volunteers would be backstage with performers helping with makeup, outfits, shoes, lineups, stage entrance, etc. The date of the recital is Saturday, 12/8/18. Recitals will be held at the Grand Theater in Keokuk from 10:00 AM to noon, and 4:15 to 7:15 PM. Any interested student should contact Ms. Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Happy birthday to Natalia Damico.
- Chicken drumstick; baked beans; apple; cheese-stuffed breadstick; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Aversion – noun [uh-vurr-zhun]
- A feeling of intense dislike. As in: he had a deep-seated aversion to most forms of exercise.
This Day in History: 1954 – Ellis Island, the gateway to America, shuts it doors after processing more than 12 million immigrants since its opening in 1892. Today, an estimated 40 percent of all Americans can trace their roots through Ellis Island, located in New York Harbor off of the New Jersey coast.
Fact of the Day: Ellis Island is named for a merchant seaman, Samuel Ellis, who owned the land in the 1700s.
Strange, but True: Wrestler Sputnik Monroe performed from 1945 through 1969, mostly in Memphis, Tennessee. He refused to perform at Ellis Auditorium in Memphis unless African-Americans were allowed to sit in any seat at the auditorium, including “whites-only” sections. As a result, his matches completely sold out as black fans flocked to the desegregated arena. Other sporting events began to desegregate shortly after they realized the financial benefit.
Quote of the Day: