General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Happy November! Finals are the two days before Thanksgiving break (11/19/18 & 11/20/18). Be sure to review the bell schedule for class times, especially on 11/20/18.
- A sincere thanks to those who participated in the Fall 2018 Iowa Youth Straw Poll. As a school, Kim Reynolds won the governor’s race with 51.4% of the vote. Dave Loebsack won the US Representative race with 47.9% of the votes. Nearly 40,000 votes from 92 counties in Iowa were tallied. Secretary Pate projects Kim Reynolds the winner in the gubernatorial race. Rod Blum, Christopher Peters, David Young, and Steve King are the projected winners in Iowa’s four congressional races. We hope you will continue to exercise your civic duty of voting throughout your lives!
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Girls basketball fan gear is available here. Orders are due by Thursday at 11:59 PM.
- There will be a full member GSA meeting today at 3:30 PM in room 202.
- There will be a DECA meeting tomorrow at 12:15 PM in room 402. All members should plan to attend as competition prep materials will be distributed. Be sure to get a TST pass from Ms. Weisinger. Contact Ms. Weisinger at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to attend.
- This week is National Key Club week. We will be celebrating the following theme days:
- Tuesday – club activity – Ms. Kohl will send out information separately.
- Wednesday – new member inductions at 5:00 PM in the LMC.
- Thursday – 50s day. Help Key Club celebrate their 50th anniversary.
- Friday – random acts of kindness day. Wear your Key Club shirt.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry is looking for a student or students to build them a simple website. Please contact Mr. Smith if you are interested.
- The Fort Madison Public Library is looking for assistants to help set up for their “Friends of the Library” book sale. Library staff will be setting up on the afternoons of Wednesday, 11/7/18, and Wednesday, 11/14/18 between 4:00 and 6:00 PM. They will also need help on Saturday, 11/17/18 to help people carry purchases to their cars. Please contact Sarah Clendineng at (319) 372-5721 to volunteer your time.
- Velocity Dance and Tumbling in Fort Madison is looking for approximately 10 high school students to help with their winter dance recital. Volunteers would be backstage with performers helping with makeup, outfits, shoes, lineups, stage entrance, etc. The date of the recital is Saturday, 12/8/18. Recitals will be held at the Grand Theater in Keokuk from 10:00 AM to noon, and 4:15 to 7:15 PM. Any interested student should contact Ms. Arnold at email@example.com.
- No FMHS birthdays today.
- Omelet; pancakes; breakfast potatoes; strawberries; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Verve – adjective [vurve]
- An energetic style; vigorous enthusiasm. As in: the performer sang with verve, exciting the crowd.
This Day in History: 1930 – Sinclair Lewis is awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature “for his vigorous and graphic art of description and his ability to create, with wit and humor, new types of characters.” Lewis had established his literary reputation in the 1920s with a series of satirical novels about small-town life in the United States.
Fact of the Day: In 1926, Sinclair Lewis turned down the Pulitzer Prize awarded to him for Arrowsmith. He regretted the decision and in 1930 decided to accept Sweden’s Nobel Prize when it was awarded to him.
Strange, but True: Ilha da Queimada Grande in Brazil is also known as Snake Island. This small island near the coast of San Paulo is prohibited to visitors due to the high population of the extremely venomous golden lancehead viper. Snake Island was cut off from the mainland when sea levels rose and is the only place where the viper lives. This pit snake has venom that helps to predigest the snake’s food by dissolving the flesh of its prey—thankfully they’re all stuck on Snake Island!
Quote of the Day: