General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The deadline to register for the ACT in December is Friday. You can register at actstudent.org. The Elliott Test Kitchen is offering ACT prep sessions on Sunday evenings. It is not too late to register and get some extra help preparing for the test. You can contact Kumar at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.tkef.org/act-prep if you are interested. If you aren’t sure when, or if you should take the ACT, stop in the counseling office and make an appointment to talk with your counselor.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Girls basketball practice begins Monday. Freshman practice will be from 3:30 to 5:00 PM. Varsity/JV will be from 5:00 to 7:00 PM.
- Girls basketball fan gear is now available here. Orders are due by Thursday, 11/8/18 at 11:59 PM.
- Next week is National Key Club week. We will be celebrating the following theme days:
- Monday – dress like a teacher day.
- Tuesday – club activity – Ms. Kohl will send out information separately.
- Wednesday – new member inductions at 5:00 PM in the LMC.
- Thursday – 50s day. Help Key Club celebrate their 50th anniversary.
- Friday – random acts of kindness day. Wear your Key Club shirt.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry is looking for a student or students to build them a simple website. Please contact Mr. Smith if you are interested.
- The Fort Madison Public Library is looking for assistants to help set up for their “Friends of the Library” book sale. Library staff will be setting up on the afternoons of Wednesday, 11/7/18, and Wednesday, 11/14/18 between w:00 and 6:00 PM. They will also need help on Saturday, 11/17/18 to help people carry purchases to their cars. Please contact Sarah Clendineng at (319) 372-5721 to volunteer your time.
- Velocity Dance and Tumbling in Fort Madison is looking for approximately 10 high school students to help with their winter dance recital. Volunteers would be backstage with performers helping with makeup, outfits, shoes, lineups, stage entrance, etc. The date of the recital is Saturday, 12/8/18. Recitals will be held at the Grand Theater in Keokuk from 10:00 AM to noon, and 4:15 to 7:15 PM. Any interested student should contact Ms. Arnold at email@example.com.
- Happy birthday to Brennan Silva and Ms. Julie Benge.
- Mini corn dogs; carrots; pear; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Sporadic – adjective [spo-rad-ick]
- Occurring irregularly or only in a few places; scattered or isolated. As in: her suit was vaguely reminiscent of military dress.
This Day in History: 1892 – The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle, is published. The book was the first collection of Holmes stories, which Conan Doyle had been publishing in magazines since 1887.
Fact of the Day: Arthur Conan Doyle studied medicine and established a medical practice in London in 1881. His slow start in medicine provided him ample time to write, which led to a lucrative writing career, allowing him to give up his medical practice and devote himself to writing.
Strange, but True: Samhainophobia is the medical term for a pathological fear of Halloween.
Quote of the Day: