General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday or Friday.
- The Iowa Youth Straw Poll will take place right before the midterm elections next week. We have been asked by the Iowa Secretary of State to once again participate. You will have until Monday to vote. Your official Iowa Youth Straw Poll ballot can be found here , or by checking your email for a message from Ms. Harter.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Girls basketball fan gear is now available here. Orders are due by Thursday, 11/8/18 at 11:59 PM.
- There will be a meeting tomorrow for anyone interested in playing boys basketball, or being a student manager. The meeting will be at 3:30 PM in the varsity locker room.
- There will be a meeting tomorrow for anyone interested in wrestling, or being a student manager. The meeting will be immediately after school in Coach Smith’s room (406).
- FFA gear is now available here. Orders are due by Sunday, 10/28/18 at 11:59 PM.
- Robotics will be sponsoring a Halloween dance on Thursday from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. Admission is $5.00. Costumes are welcome. No masks, please.
- Key Club is sponsoring their 5th annual Halloween Carnival on Saturday from noon until 2 PM. There will be games, prizes, and a costume contest for kids. If your team or club is interested in sponsoring a game booth for this fun and FREE community event, contact either Ms. Kohl or Nathaniel Harter.
- A representative from Central College will be here tomorrow during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Dutch, please stop by their table during your lunch time.
- A representative from Hannibal LaGrange University will be here on Monday during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Trojans, please stop by their table during your lunch time.
- Happy birthday to Kylie Hernandez, Deanna Warner, Makayla Weber, Ms. Roxanne Puga, and Ms. MaryJo Hall.
- Meatball sub; sweet potato fries; pears; milk.
- A la carte: potato bar.
Word of the Day:
- Onus – noun [oh-niss]
- Used to refer to something that is one’s duty or responsibility. As in: the onus was on the prosecution to show guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
This Day in History: 1993 – Toronto Blue Jay Joe Carter does what every kid dreams of – he wins the World Series for the Blue Jays by homering in the ninth inning of game 6.
Fact of the Day: Joe Carter’s walk-off home run in game 6 of the 1993 World Series is the only time in baseball history that a team won the championship with a come-from-behind home run.
Strange, but True: The Simpsons debuted in 1989, and while the family has mostly remained the same, updates to their home (trading their old TV set for a flat screen, for example) have kept them with the times. They still wear the same clothes each day, and do not age. In fact, if Bart aged at a normal rate, he would today be older than Marge was when the show debuted!
Quote of the Day: