General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday or Friday.
- Congratulations to Amanda Jones. Your name was drawn in the LMC Reading Promotion. Go to the LMC and see Ms. Puga or Ms. Bowen to choose your prize.
- The Iowa Youth Straw Poll is less than two weeks away! FMHS will once again be participating in this statewide event. Currently there are approximately 60,000 students and 250 schools registered to participate. Please be on the lookout for a Google ballot that Mr. Ehlers will be releasing the week of 10/22/18. You will have until Monday, 10/29/18 to vote.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Girls basketball fan gear is now available here.
- There will be a meeting on Wednesday for anyone interested in playing boys basketball, or being a student manager. The meeting will be at 3:30 PM in the varsity locker room.
- There will be a meeting on Wednesday for anyone interested in wrestling, or being a student manager. The meeting will be immediately after school in Coach Smith’s room (406).
- There will be no regular meeting for GSA Club today. GSA concession help should meet at 5:00 PM at the track.
- Robotics will be sponsoring a Halloween dance on Thursday from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. Admission is $5.00. Costumes are welcome. No masks, please.
- Key Club is sponsoring their 5th annual Halloween Carnival on Saturday from noon until 2 PM. There will be games, prizes, and a costume contest for kids. If your team or club is interested in sponsoring a game booth for this fun and FREE community event, contact either Ms. Kohl or Nathaniel Harter.
- A representative from Simpson College will be here tomorrow during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Storm, please stop by their table during your lunch time.
- A representative from Central College will be here on Wednesday during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Dutch, please stop by their table during your lunch time.
- Happy birthday to Sam Huffman and Alex Lauber.
- Pork fritter sandwich; celery; peaches; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Nirvana – noun [nur-vah-nuh]
- A state of perfect happiness; an ideal place. As in: some people achieve nirvana through meditation. Others achieve it by going on vacation.
This Day in History: 1797 – The first parachute jump of note is made from a hydrogen balloon 3,200 feet above Paris.
Fact of the Day: The world altitude record for highest parachute jump is 135,890 feet, or approximately 25 miles above the earth. It was accomplished by 54-year old Google vice president Alan Eustace in 2014.
Strange, but True: There are ten different ways to pronounce “ough.” The following sentence includes eight of them: “A rough-coated, dough-faced ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough, coughing and hiccoughing, while thoughtfully considering his existence.”
Quote of the Day: