General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday, 10/25/18, and Friday, 10/26/18.
- The Iowa Youth Straw Poll is less than two weeks away! FMHS will once again be participating in this statewide event. Currently there are approximately 60,000 students and 250 schools registered to participate. Please be on the lookout for a Google ballot that Mr. Ehlers will be releasing the week of 10/22/18. You will have until Monday, 10/29/18 to vote.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Girls basketball fan gear is now available here.
- Good luck to the football team this evening in the County Seat game against the Chiefs in Keokuk. Game time is 7:00 PM.
- There will be a meeting on Wednesday for anyone interested in playing boys basketball, or being a student manager. The meeting will be at 3:30 PM in the varsity locker room.
- There will be a meeting on Wednesday for anyone interested in wrestling, or being a student manager. The meeting will be immediately after school in Coach Smith’s room (406).
- Robotics will be sponsoring a Halloween dance on Thursday, 10/25/18 from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. Admission is $5.00. Costumes are welcome. No masks, please.
- Key Club is sponsoring their 5th annual Halloween Carnival on Saturday, 10/27/18 from noon until 2 PM. There will be games, prizes, and a costume contest for kids. If your team or club is interested in sponsoring a game booth for this fun and FREE community event, contact either Ms. Kohl or Nathaniel Harter.
- A representative from the University of Northern Iowa will be here on Monday after school in the guidance office. If you would like to learn more about the Panthers, please stop by the guidance office at that time.
- A representative from Simpson College will be here on Tuesday during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Storm, please stop by their table during your lunch time.
- A representative from Central College will be her on Wednesday during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Dutch, please stop by their table during your lunch time.
- Happy birthday to Miles Dear.
- Happy birthday tomorrow to Neil Macomber, Quinton Ross, and Kylie Wrieden.
- Happy birthday on Sunday to Anna Kester and Madelynn Schaefer.
- Chicken nuggets; salad; orange wedge; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Menace – noun [men-uss]
- A person or thing that is likely to cause harm; a threat of danger. As in: drugs are a menace to our society.
This Day in History: 1781 – Hopelessly trapped at Yorktown, Virginia, British General Lord Cornwallis surrenders 8,000 British soldiers and seamen to a larger American force, effectively bringing an end to the American Revolution and winning independence for the United States of America.
Fact of the Day: When the Revolutionary War began in April of 1775, the American colonies sought more autonomy within the British Empire, not complete separation. The Continental Congress, which led American resistance, petitioned King George III that summer, denying that independence was the Americans’ objective, and appealing to him to protect the colonies. At this critical juncture, British ministers and the king rebuffed the Americans, and started to treat them as open and avowed enemies, leading to independence as the only option.
Strange, but True: The American Revolutionary War was a war fought mostly between the United States and Great Britain. Of little knowledge, however, is the fact that it was a European affair, as well. The French, Spanish, and Dutch would all eventually fight on the side of the Americans, while the Germans would offer assistance to the British.
Quote of the Day: