General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The LMC Reading Promotion’s featured genre is Fantasy/Supernatural/Horror. Read any book from this genre for double entries! If you have questions, ask Ms. Puga, Ms. Bowen, or a BooksRUs club member.
- Sophomores: Jostens will be holding a class meeting tomorrow at 10:30 AM in the MPR to discuss class ring orders.
- Seniors: Jostens will be be set up by the front doors next Tuesday during lunch to take graduation orders.
- School picture retakes will be next Wednesday. If you need a picture order form you can pick one up in the main office.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Good luck to the cross country teams this afternoon at Keokuk. Races start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the varsity volleyball team this evening at the Mediapolis Invitational. Matches start at 5:00 PM.
- Robotics will be sponsoring a Halloween dance on Friday, 10/25/18. Admission is $5.00. Costumes are welcome. No masks, please.
- A representative from Western Illinois University will be here on Monday during lunch. If you are interested in the Leathernecks, please see their representative during your lunch period.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The FMMS PTO is looking for 15-20 student volunteers for their Fall Fest. The date will be Friday, 11/2/18. Time will be from 3:30 to 8:30 PM. The location will be FMMS. The type of work will be working games, monitoring inflatable jump houses, and assisting in setup and take-down. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fort Madison Middle School is in need of individuals who would be willing to assist younger students in their academic needs. You can receive service hours, or credits if the assistance fits into your schedule without affecting your graduation requirements. Please contact Mr. Dirth at email@example.com with any questions.
- Happy birthday to Kylee Cashman and Brodey McGowan.
- Cheese quesadilla; potato hash; watermelon; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Galvanize – verb [gal-vun-eyes]
- To shock or excite someone, typically into taking action. As in: The urgency in her voice galvanized them into action.
This Day in History: 1945 – Private First Class Desmond T. Doss of Lynchburg, Virginia, is presented the Congressional Medal of Honor for outstanding bravery as a medical corpsman, the first conscientious objector in American history to receive the nation’s highest military award.
Fact of the Day: Hacksaw Ridge, a 2016 Box Office superstar, is a film about the true story of Desmond Doss who, in Okinawa during the bloodiest battle of WWII, saved 75 men without firing or carrying a gun.
Strange, but True: Starting in 1942, the US Marines in the Pacific used the Navajo language as their secret code. Over 400 Navajo Indians, called code talkers, were trained to use the code. The Japanese never figured it out.
Quote of the Day: