General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Seniors: Jostens will be holding a senior meeting on Monday at 9:15 AM in the MPR to review your graduation packets. Your attendance is critical at this meeting.
- Sophomores: Jostens will be holding a class meeting next Friday at 10:30 AM in the MPR to discuss class ring orders.
- School picture retakes will be on Wednesday, 10/17/18. If you need a picture order form you can pick one up in the main office.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Good luck to the football team this evening at Washington against the Demons. Kick off is 7:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the cross country teams tomorrow at the Clinton Invitational. Races start at 9:00 AM.
- Good luck to the JV volleyball team tomorrow at the Mediapolis Invitational. Play starts at 9:00 AM
- Best of luck to the varsity volleyball team tomorrow morning at the Durant Tournament. Matches start at 9:00 AM.
- The new Bloodhound Tutoring Club will be starting Monday from 3:30-4:30 in the library. Get help from upperclassmen on homework, writing a research paper, or finishing a project in a quiet environment. If you have any questions feel free to email Max Slater at email@example.com.
- There will be an all member GSA meeting at 3:30 PM on Monday in room 202.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The FMMS PTO is looking for 15-20 student volunteers for their Fall Fest. The date will be Friday, 11/2/18. Time will be from 3:30 to 8:30 PM. The location will be FMMS. The type of work will be working games, monitoring inflatable jump houses, and assisting in setup and take-down. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fort Madison Middle School is in need of individuals who would be willing to assist younger students in their academic needs. You can receive service hours, or credits if the assistance fits into your schedule without affecting your graduation requirements. Please contact Mr. Dirth at email@example.com with any questions.
- Happy birthday tomorrow to Mr. Mike Ehlers.
- Pizza; carrots; tropical fruit; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Encumber – verb [n-come-burr]
- To restrict or burden (someone or something) in such a way that free action or movement is difficult. As in: The recent college graduate couldn’t find a job, and was encumbered by debt.
This Day in History: 1974 – American David Kunst completes the first round-the-world journey on foot, taking four years and 21 pairs of shoes to complete the 14,500 mile journey across the land masses of four continents.
Fact of the Day: David Kunst started his journey to circumnavigate the globe with his brother John. While in Afghanistan on their trek, John Kunst was shot to death by bandits. Because David had been wounded in the attack, he returned home to recuperate. He would later return to Afghanistan with another brother, Peter, who later had to drop out for health reasons. David completed the rest of the journey alone.
Strange, but True: The circumnavigation of the globe by Ferdinand Magellan from 1517-1522 proved the earth was round. Numerous other circumnavigations have occurred since that time by all means of transportation. Despite this, there are people who still believe the Earth is flat. Their claim? Not only is the Earth flat…but there is a worldwide conspiracy in place to obscure that fact from everyday people.
Quote of the Day: