General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The homecoming parade is next Thursday. If you would like to enter a float in the parade, please fill out this form and return it to Ms. Harter or Ms. Jones in the main office by Tuesday, 9/25/18.
- Homecoming tickets are on sale from 7:30 to 8:00 AM, and during lunch. The cost per ticket is $10.00.
- Pack in Pink (FMHS support for the fight against breast cancer) is coming on Friday, 10/12/18. Shirt order forms have been distributed to all period 2 classrooms, but if you still need a form, please stop in the band room or print a form from this link. Shirts are $10.00 with all profits being donated for research. T-shirt order forms will be due on Monday, 10/1/18. Please turn them into Mr. Madsen or an NHS member.
FMHS Activities @Bloodhounds_AD:
- Good luck to football team this evening against Solon at Richmond Stadium. Kick off is 7:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the cross country team tomorrow at Anamosa. Races start at 8:30 AM.
- GSA will have an all-member meeting on Monday in room 202 at 3:30 PM to paint mason jars. Please bring any supplies with you to help in this adventure.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Fort Madison Middle School is in need of individuals who would be willing to assist younger students in their academic needs. You can receive service hours, or credits if the assistance fits into your schedule without affecting your graduation requirements. Please contact Mr. Dirth at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The Salvation Army Thrift Store in Ft. Madison is looking for volunteers to help sort and hang clothing, and to do some general cleaning. They need volunteers anytime between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Please contact Kelsey Hardy at (319) 372-1613 for more information.
- A representative from Iowa State University will be here on Monday during lunch. If you’d like to learn more about the Cyclones, please visit their table during your lunch time.
- Happy birthday to Jake Eaves, Kaylyn Eaves, and Keaton Poe.
- Cheeseburger; baked beans; strawberries; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Taut – adjective [tawt]
- Stretched or pulled tight. As in: the rope was taut.
This Day in History: 1780 – During the American Revolution, American General Benedict Arnold meets with British Major John Andre to discuss handing over West Point to the British. The plot was foiled and Arnold, a former American hero, became synonymous with the word “traitor.”
Fact of the Day: Benedict Arnold fought in the French and Indian War, and had the respect of George Washington during the American Revolution for his skills in battle. He committed treason for the promise of a large sum of money, which he intended to use to pay off his substantial debt.
Strange, but True: Before Benedict Arnold turned against his country, he participated in an ill-fated American invasion of Canada (then under British rule). Arnold claimed until his death that this failed invasion was the reason he was passed over for promotion so many times, leading him to negotiate the surrender of West Point.
Quote of the Day: