General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The homecoming parade is fast approaching. If you would like to enter a float in the parade, please fill out this form and return it to Ms. Harter or Ms. Jones in the main office by Tuesday, 9/25/18.
- If you didn’t receive your free water bottle from Ms. Arnold last Friday, please stop by the nurse’s office during a non-class time to pick yours up.
- Attention college-bound juniors: you may now sign up for the PSAT in the guidance office. Taking the PSAT makes you a candidate for the National Merit Scholarship and is good practice before taking the ACT or SAT. The fee to take the test is $16. That fee must be delivered to the guidance office by Monday. The test will be administered on Wednesday, 10/10/18 starting at 8:15 AM.
- Homecoming and powder puff shirts are on sale during lunch. Purchase yours during your lunch time.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- Good luck to the cross country teams at Fairfield this afternoon. Races start at 5:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the volleyball teams at home tonight against the Demons of Washington. Matches start at 5:45 PM.
- The Drama Club will be meeting this afternoon right after school in th Little Theater (room 306). The topics of discussion will be a production, a lip sync battle, and several other important items.
- The BooksRUs Club will have its first meeting in the makerspace on Monday during TST at noon. Bring your lunch and join the fun!
- The GSA Club will be having a meeting on Monday in room 202 at 3:30 PM. Everyone is welcome to attend. Come join the fun.
- The IHSSA Speech team ill be meeting on Tuesday at 3:30 PM in room 302. If you are interested in the speech team, please come to the meeting or see Mr. Sissel.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Salvation Army Thrift Store in Ft. Madison is looking for volunteers to help sort and hang clothing, and to do some general cleaning. They need volunteers anytime between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Please contact Kelsey Hardy at (319) 372-1613 for more information.
- The Rodeo Parade Committee is looking for seven to ten students to work the parade on Saturday. Interested students should contact David Fedler at (319) 470-1261 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers will be needed from 7:00 AM to noon.
- No birthdays today (at least at FMHS).
- Chicken nuggets; salad; orange; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Juggernaut – noun [jug-urr-knot]
- A huge, powerful, and overwhelming force or institution. As in: The FMHS volleyball teams have become a juggernaut of the Southeast Conference.
This Day in History: 1995 – Baltimore Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken Jr. plays in his 2,131st consecutive game, breaking “Iron Horse” Lou Gehrig’s record for most consecutive games played.
Fact of the Day: Cal Ripken went on to play in 2,632 games in a row before ending the games played streak by voluntarily removing himself from a game against the New York Yankees on September 19, 1998.
Strange, but True: In 1981, the Pawtucket Red Sox and the Rochester Red Wings, two triple-A baseball teams, took to the field to play their regularly-scheduled game. They ended up playing 33 innings. The game lasted a total of 8 hours and 25 minutes, making it the longest game of baseball ever played.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: