General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Attention college-bound juniors: you may now sign up for the PSAT in the guidance office. Taking the PSAT makes you a candidate for the National Merit Scholarship and is good practice before taking the ACT or SAT. The fee to take the test is $16. That fee must be delivered to the guidance office by Monday, 9/10/18. The test will be administered on Wednesday, 10/10/18 starting at 8:15 AM.
- If you purchased a 2017/2018 yearbook, you may pick it up between this Friday and next, before or after school in Room 328, which is near the media center.
- Picture day is tomorrow. If you are ordering photos, please make sure you have the form and money with you when your group is called. If you need a picture form you can pick one up in the main office. Seniors must have their picture taken if they intend to be on the Senior Composite photo that hangs in the main entrance.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- Any students grades 9-12 that are interested in being in show choir should see Mr. Stoddard in the choir room by tomorrow.
- The FMHS Robotics Team, the Cyberhounds, is currently looking for new members. You may apply here.
- Do you like to read and talk about books? The book club will be meeting during lunch and TST in the Makerspace on the first Monday of each month. If you are interested, fill out the application or see Ms. Puga.
- There will be a DECA meeting today during TST B in room 402 at 12:15. If you are interested in being a member of DECA, or the opportunities available through the career organization, you are welcome to attend the meeting. Please contact Ms. Weisinger at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The first Art Club meeting of the school year will be today at 3:30 PM in room 102. Anyone can join Art Club! Come enjoy snacks, friends and art! The first meeting will be very important to attend this year so please come if you are planning on being apart of the club. If you have other obligations during that time, please stop by Ms. Smith’s classroom to receive all of the new information.
- The GSA Club will be having a meeting on Monday, 9/10/18 in room 202 at 3:30 PM. Everyone is welcome to attend. Come join the fun.
- Staff Sergeant Miguel A. Gamboa from the US Marines will be here today during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Marines, please stop by his table during lunch.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Rodeo Parade Committee is looking for seven to ten students to work the parade on Saturday, 9/8/18. Interested students should contact David Fedler at (319) 470-1261 or email him at email@example.com. Volunteers will be needed from 7:00 AM to noon.
- Happy birthday to Gage Fullenkamp.
- Cheese quesadilla; potato cubes; watermelon; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Fulminate – verb [full-min-ate]
- To criticize severely. As in: the manager fulminated against the umpires in his post-game interview.
This Day in History: 1983 – US Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Guion S. Bluford becomes the first African American to travel into space when the space shuttle Challenger lifts off on its third mission.
Fact of the Day: Guion Bluford would fly in four total missions for NASA, logging a total of 700 hours in orbit.
Strange, but True: Apollo 14 astronaut Alan Shepard was the first person to play golf on the moon. It’s estimated that ball traveled for over a mile, unofficially setting the record for the longest drive in history.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: