General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- If you purchased a 2017/2018 yearbook, you may pick it up between this Friday and next, before or after school in Room 328, which is near the media center.
- Picture day is Friday. If you are ordering photos, please make sure you have the form and money with you when your group is called. If you need a picture form you can pick one up in the main office. Seniors must have their picture taken if they intend to be on the Senior Composite photo that hangs in the main entrance.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- Any students grades 9-12 that are interested in being in show choir should see Mr. Stoddard in the choir room by this Friday.
- The FMHS Robotics Team, the Cyberhounds, is currently looking for new members. You may apply here.
- Do you like to read and talk about books? The book club will be meeting during lunch and TST in the Makerspace on the first Monday of each month. If you are interested, fill out the application or see Ms. Puga.
- Key Club is a student volunteer organization with the mission to serve “home, school, and community”. Their first meeting of the year will take place today at 5:30 PM in room 301.
- The first FFA meeting of the school year will be today at 7:00 PM in the Ag room (600).
- There will be a DECA meeting tomorrow during TST B in room 402 at 12:15. If you are interested in being a member of DECA, or the opportunities available through the career organization, you are welcome to attend the meeting. Please contact Ms. Weisinger at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The first Art Club meeting of the school year will be tomorrow at 3:30 PM in room 102. Anyone can join Art Club! Come enjoy snacks, friends and art! The first meeting will be very important to attend this year so please come if you are planning on being apart of the club. If you have other obligations during that time, please stop by Ms. Smith’s classroom to receive all of the new information.
- Staff Sergeant Miguel A. Gamboa from the US Marines will be here tomorrow during lunch. If you would like to learn more about the Marines, please stop by his table during lunch.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Rodeo Parade Committee is looking for seven to ten students to work the parade on Saturday, 9/8/18. Interested students should contact Kirk Sherwood at (319) 470-3584. Volunteers will be needed from 7:00 AM to noon.
- No birthdays (at least at FMHS) today.
- Barbecue rib on bun; baked beans; fresh melon; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Enamor – verb [ee-nahm-urr]
- To have a liking or admiration for. As in: she was clearly enamored with the the city of Phoenix.
This Day in History: 2005 – Hurricane Katrina, the most destructive hurricane ever recorded in the United States, makes landfall on the US Gulf Coast, near New Orleans, Louisiana.
Fact of the Day: Hurricane Katrina was the most costly natural disaster in American history, with damages of more than $80 billion. In all, more than 1,800 people died, 1 million more were displaced, and 400,000 people lost their jobs as a result of the disaster.
Strange, but True: Since 1980, the US has suffered 208 weather-related disasters where damages exceeded 1 billion dollars. In 2017 alone, there were five such incidents.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: