General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- If you purchased a 2017/2018 yearbook, you may pick it up between this Friday and next, before or after school in Room 328, which is near the media center.
- Picture day is Friday. If you are ordering photos, please make sure you have the form and money with you when your group is called. If you need a picture form you can pick one up in the main office. Seniors must have their picture taken if they intend to be on the Senior Composite photo that hangs in the main entrance.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- It’s not too late to join a fall sport. See Mr. Swink or Ms. Wiseman in the office for details.
- Good luck to the volleyball teams this evening as they host the Panthers of Mt. Pleasant in the Hound Dome. Matches begin at 5:45 PM.
- The FMHS Robotics Team, the Cyberhounds, is currently looking for new members. You may apply here.
- Do you like to read and talk about books? The book club will be meeting during lunch and TST in the Makerspace on the first Monday of each month. If you are interested, fill out the application or see Ms. Puga.
- Key Club is a student volunteer organization with the mission to serve “home, school, and community”. Their first meeting of the year will take place tomorrow at 5:30 PM in room 301.
- The first FFA meeting of the school year will be tomorrow at 7:00 PM in the Ag room (600).
- There will be a DECA meeting on Thursday during TST B in room 402 at 12:15. If you are interested in being a member of DECA, or the opportunities available through the career organization, you are welcome to attend the meeting. Please contact Ms. Weisinger at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The first Art Club meeting of the school year will be on Thursday at 3:30 PM in room 102. Anyone can join Art Club! Come enjoy snacks, friends and art! The first meeting will be very important to attend this year so please come if you are planning on being apart of the club. If you have other obligations during that time, please stop by Ms. Smith’s classroom to receive all of the new information.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Rodeo Parade Committee is looking for seven to ten students to work the parade on Saturday, 9/8/18. Interested students should contact Kirk Sherwood at (319) 470-3584. Volunteers will be needed from 7:00 AM to noon.
- Happy birthday to Kerridwen Roberts and Katherine Young.
- Mandarin chicken w/ rice; salad; apple; milk.
Word of the Day:
- Dally – verb [dahl-ee]
- To act or move slowly. As in: the workers were loafing, dallying, and generally goofing off.
This Day in History: 1963 – On the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC, the African American civil rights movement reaches its high-water mark when Martin Luther King, Jr., speaking to 250,000 people, gives his now famous “I have a dream…” speech.
Fact of the Day: Martin Luther King, Jr. would be an instrumental force in the passing of the 24th Amendment, which abolished the poll tax, and thus a barrier to poor African American voters in the South. King was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in 1964. He would be assassinated at the age of 39 in 1968.
Strange, but True: The night before Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, he made a speech that foretold his death, telling an audience “like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I’m not concerned about that now. I’ve seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you, though.”
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: