General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
If you purchased a 2017/2018 yearbook, you may pick it up between Friday, 8/31/18 and Friday, 9/7/18, before or after school in Room 328, which is near the media center. You may send family members to pick up and sign for your book. However, if you send a friend, that person must have a signed permission slip from you in order to receive the book.
If you did not purchase a book and would like to do so, extra books are available, but they will be sold on a first-paid, first-served basis. In other words, we will not hold books. You bring the $45, you get a book until they are gone. The theme is WE ARE FM.Watch your announcements for upcoming sales information for this year’s yearbook. We are excited to announce that our publisher will now be accepting layaway payments online.Capture those memories forever; get your yearbook!
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- It’s not too late to join a fall sport. See Mr. Swink or Ms. Wiseman in the office for details.
- Good luck to the football team this evening at Central Lee. The game starts at 7:00 PM. Come and show your support and school spirit.
- Best of luck to the varsity volleyball team tomorrow as they travel to Bondurant for a tournament. Tourney starts at 8:00 AM.
- Good luck to the cross country teams tomorrow at the Cedar Rapids Prairie Invite. Races start at 8:30 AM.
- The FMHS Robotics Team, the Cyberhounds, is currently looking for new members. You may apply at https://cyberhounds.org/application.
- The Drama Club will meet on Monday at 3:30 PM in room 304 with Ms. Ljungkull. Everyone is invited! The discussion will center on information for the fall production.
- Key Club is a student volunteer organization with the mission to serve “home, school, and community”. Their first meeting of the year will take place next Wednesday at 5:30 PM in room 301.
- There will be a DECA meeting next Thursday during TST B in room 402 at 12:15. If you are interested in being a member of DECA, or the opportunities available through the career organization, you are welcome to attend the meeting. Please contact Ms. Weisinger at email@example.com with any questions.
- Happy birthday to Isaac Gerveler and Kelly Russell.
- Happy birthday tomorrow to Matt Ellison, Jalen Kutcher, and Eric Riggs.
- Happy birthday on Sunday to Raven Harriott and Cole Kruse.
- Cheese or pepperoni pizza;
- Tropical fruit.
Word of the Day:
- Baffle – verb [baff-ul]
- To totally bewilder or perplex; a mystery. As in: The Bloodhound offense will baffle Central Lee this evening.
This Day in History: 2006 – The International Astronomical Union downgrades the status of Pluto from planet to that of “dwarf planet.”
Fact of the Day: The three criteria set by the International Astronomical Union for a full-sized planet are:
- It is in orbit around the Sun.
- It has sufficient mass to assume hydrostatic equilibrium (a nearly round shape).
- It has “cleared the neighborhood” around its orbit.
- Pluto fails to be a planet based on this criteria.
Strange, but True: The coldest place in the known universe may actually be on Earth. In Wolfgang Ketterle’s lab in Massachusetts, it’s 0.000000000001 degrees Kelvin. That’s -459.6 degrees Fahrenheit.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: