General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Any student wanting to audition for the marching band color guard may attend rehearsals next week from Monday to Thursday at the FMMS gym from 7:00 to 7:45 AM, and/or at the FMHS MPR from 3:20 to 4:20 PM. Please see Mr. Madsen in the band room with any questions.
- All library books and media equipment are due back by next Friday. Seniors should settle all accounts as soon as possible.
- Show choir auditions will take place next week. Anyone interested in attending should contact Mr. Stoddard in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional audition material and information is available in the choir room. Auditions are open to anyone entering grades 9-12. The choir program would love to have you and hope you audition.
- Though it is not too late to order your yearbook for this year, it IS too late to order yearbooks with any extras, including name stamps, icons, year in review, etc. You may no longer order yearbooks online. If you need a form, please see the pocket on the bulletin board near room 303. All orders are due by 5/30/18.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- Good luck to the boys tennis team in preliminary sub-state competition this evening. Matches are at home and will begin at 3:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys soccer team at Burlington this evening. Games start at 5:00 PM.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team tonight as they host Davenport North. Games start at 5:30 PM at the Baxter Sports Complex.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team tomorrow as they host regionals. Matches start at 9:00 AM.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team tomorrow at Mediapolis. Games start at 9:00 AM.
- Congratulations to the 2018/2019 Key Club board members:
- President – Corrine Keenan
- Vice President – Taylor-Ann McGee
- Secretary – Raven Harriott
- Treasurer – Nathaniel Harter
- Editor – Zina Johnstun
- Thank you to the outgoing senior board members: Sally Johnstun, Mercedee Doty, and Maddie Sadler. You make us proud!
- The FMHS Art Walk will be open for viewing through tomorrow and is a showcase of the artwork the students have created throughout the school year. The reception for the students will tomorrow from 2:00 to 5:00 PM. The event will be catered and feature local artwork and a live b and. A $100 Pizza Hut gift card will be given away as a prize at the reception, as well. To be included in the drawing you must take a selfie next to a piece of displayed art and send the picture, along with your name to email@example.com. Locations will all be downtown Fort Madison on Avenue G: The Fort Madison Area Arts Association Gallery, The Victoria Gallery, Artist Trax Gallery, and the Artisans Gallery.
- Happy birthday to Kaela Baker and Jacob Marshall.
- Happy birthday tomorrow to Aydn Kelly, Samira Mehmedi, and Austin Shipley.
- Happy birthday on Sunday to Christian Stuekerjuergen.
- Happy birthday on August 12 to Triston Miller.
- Happy birthday on August 13 to Kirklan Boone, Codi Chapman, and Ms. Lynne Lange.
- Sloppy Joe or pizza;
- Celery sticks w/ dip and/or corn;
- Pineapple and/or applesauce.
Word of the Day:
- Edify – verb [ed-ih-fye]
- To instruct or improve (someone) morally or intellectually. As in: the school board hoped their requirement for service hours would edify the students and encourage them to contribute to their communities.
This Day in History: 1858 – Known as the “and of 10,000 Lakes,” Minnesota enters the Union as the 32nd state.
Fact of the Day: Minnesota has 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined.
#StrangeButTrue: The original name of the settlement that would become the city of St. Paul in Minnesota was Pig’s Eye. The settlement was named for the French-Canadian trader, Pierre “Pig’s Eye” Parrant, who had led squatters to the settlement.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: