General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- All library books and media equipment are due back by Friday, 5/18/18. Seniors should settle all accounts as soon as possible.
- Show choir auditions will take place next week. Anyone interested in attending should contact Mr. Stoddard in person or via email at email@example.com. Additional audition material and information is available in the choir room. Auditions are open to anyone entering grades 9-12. The choir program would love to have you and hope you audition.
- Though it is not too late to order your yearbook for this year, it IS too late to order yearbooks with any extras, including name stamps, icons, year in review, etc. You may no longer order yearbooks online. If you need a form, please see the pocket on the bulletin board near room 303. All orders are due by 5/30/18.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- Good luck to the boys golfers today at their conference meet in Fairfield. Tee off is 9:00 AM.
- The student government banquet is tonight at FMHS from 6:30 to 8:00 PM.
- The FMHS Art Walk will be open for viewing through Saturday and is a showcase of the artwork the students have created throughout the school year. The reception for the students will on Saturday from 2:00 to 5:00 PM. The event will be catered and feature local artwork and a live b and. A $100 Pizza Hut gift card will be given away as a prize at the reception, as well. To be included in the drawing you must take a selfie next to a piece of displayed art and send the picture, along with your name to firstname.lastname@example.org. Locations will all be downtown Fort Madison on Avenue G: The Fort Madison Area Arts Association Gallery, The Victoria Gallery, Artist Trax Gallery, and the Artisans Gallery.
- Happy birthday to Christopher McMillan.
- Happy birthday on August 8 to Ms. Cheryl York.
- Chicken nuggets or tuna & noodles;
- Peas and/or salad;
- Blueberries and/or apricots;
- Club crackers.
Word of the Day:
- Brittle – noun [kuh-lam-ity]
- Hard, but liable to break or shatter easily; fragile. As in: her bones became brittle as she aged.
This Day in History: 1792 – Congress passes the Militia Acts, which, among other things, requires that every white male citizen between the ages of 18 and 45 be enrolled to serve in the militia, effectively establishing a draft by which the federal government could conscript citizens into the military.
Fact of the Day: The Militia Act was tested shortly after its passage, when farmers in western Pennsylvania, angered by a tax on whiskey, attacked the home of a tax collector and threatened to march on a nearby town. In response, President Washington, under the auspices of the Militia Act, assembled 15,000 men from the surrounding states as a federal militia. Upon its arrival, the federal militia found none of the 6,000 rebels willing to fight. The mere threat of federal force had quelled the rebellion and established the supremacy of the federal government.
#StrangeButTrue: According to studies, compulsive hoarding – the kind where you can’t use your stove because there are piles of paper and unopened envelopes collecting on top of it – affects 19 million Americans, by far the highest percentage of any country in the world.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: