General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- All library books and media equipment are due back by Friday, 5/18/18. Seniors should settle all accounts as soon as possible.
- Show choir auditions will take place during the week of 5/14/18 to 5/18/18. Anyone interested in attending should contact Mr. Stoddard in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional audition material and information is available in the choir room. Auditions are open to anyone entering grades 9-12. The choir program would love to have you and hope you audition.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- Good luck to the boys tennis team today as they host the conference meet. Matches start at 9:30 AM.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team today at their conference meet, hosted by Fairfield. Play starts at 9:30 AM.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team this evening as they travel to Washington to play the Demons. Games start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys soccer team tonight as they host Washington at the Baxter Sports Complex. Games start at 5:30 PM.
- The FMHS Art Walk will be open for viewing through Saturday, 5/12/18 and is a showcase of the artwork the students have created throughout the school year. The reception for the students will on 5/12/18 from 2:00 to 5:00 PM. The event will be catered and feature local artwork and a live b and. A $100 Pizza Hut gift card will be given away as a prize at the reception, as well. To be included in the drawing you must take a selfie next to a piece of displayed art and send the picture, along with your name to email@example.com. Locations will all be downtown Fort Madison on Avenue G: The Fort Madison Area Arts Association Gallery, The Victoria Gallery, Artist Trax Gallery, and the Artisans Gallery.
- Happy birthday on August 7 to Kenya Davis-Robinson, Shyla Farmer, Austin Heidbreder, Cameron Medland, and Blake Wilson.
- Chicken alfredo or hamburger;
- Broccoli and/or tomato slices;
- Tropical fruit and/or pears.
Word of the Day:
- Zenith- noun [zee-nith]
- The time at which something is most powerful or successful. As in: graduating high school is a zenith for many individuals.
This Day in History: 1915 – A German submarine torpedoes and sinks the British ship Lusitania, killing 1,198 people, including 128 Americans. The sinking of the ship turned the American public, who had an overwhelming stance for neutrality in World War I, against Germany, and would greatly contribute to the American entry into World War I against Germany and her allies.
Fact of the Day: In February of 1915 Germany announced unrestricted submarine warfare in the waters around Britain, blockading the island in an attempt to starve the shipping of war materials in and out of the country. It was revealed in 1917 that the British ocean liner Lusitania, sunk in 1915, was carrying over 173 tons of war munitions for Great Britain.
#StrangeButTrue: The city of Thebes in Egypt (now known as Luxor) is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world. There have been people living there for over 5,200 years. The first laws outlining expected behavior weren’t even written down when the inhabitation of the city began.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: