General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Show choir auditions will take place during the week of 5/14/18 to 5/18/18. Anyone interested in attending should contact Mr. Stoddard in person or via email at email@example.com. Additional audition material and information is available in the choir room. Auditions are open to anyone entering grades 9-12. The choir program would love to have you and hope you audition.
- The Yearbook staff is requesting that students who attended prom send them your pictures of the night. Please be sure they are appropriate. Pictures can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you interested in what happens in your school? Student Government is now accepting applications for representatives that want to be leaders at FMHS. If you would like to be part of Student Government, please stop by the office and get an application from Ms. Jones. Applications are due by Friday.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- No activities today.
- The FMHS Art Walk will be open for viewing through Saturday, 5/12/18 and is a showcase of the artwork the students have created throughout the school year. The reception for the students will on 5/12/18 from 2:00 to 5:00 PM. The event will be catered and feature local artwork and a live b and. A $100 Pizza Hut gift card will be given away as a prize at the reception, as well. To be included in the drawing you must take a selfie next to a piece of displayed art and send the picture, along with your name to email@example.com. Locations will all be downtown Fort Madison on Avenue G: The Fort Madison Area Arts Association Gallery, The Victoria Gallery, Artist Trax Gallery, and the Artisans Gallery.
- FFA will be hosting a blood drive tomorrow. Anyone interested in signing up to donate can visit the table during lunch, or see/email Ms. Slee, firstname.lastname@example.org. You must obtain permission from an instructor if you intend to give blood. You may not leave a core class to give blood.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Fort Madison Main Street is taking volunteers for Mayhem on the Mississippi this Friday and Saturday. A variety of options are available, from setup to teardown and clean up. Please contact email@example.com or call her at 319-372-5471.
- The Fort Madison Partners are looking for individuals to assist in painting houses next week. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Happy birthday to Eleesha Estrada, Kaeli Hutson, and Maguire Smeltser.
- Happy birthday on August 2 to Brandon Reichelt and Principal Greg Smith.
- Chicken tetrazzini w/ breadstick or BBQ rib patty sandwich;
- Broccoli w/ dip and/or California blend vegetables;
- Cherries and/or tropical fruit.
Word of the Day:
- Sulk- verb [sulk]
- To be silent, morose, and bad-tempered out of annoyance or disappointment. As in: she continued to sulk well after she had lost the race.
This Day in History: 2011 – Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States, is killed by US forces during a raid on his hideout in Pakistan.
Fact of the Day: Based on the computer files and other evidence recovered in the raid to kill Osama bin Laden, it was determined that bin Laden was devising plans to assassinate President Obama, as well as carry out a series of additional attacks against America.
#StrangeButTrue: The largest snake species ever discovered lived during the Paleocene era (66 to 23 million years ago). It’s estimated that the epicly-named Titanoboa was a staggering 40 feet long and weighed 2,5000 pounds. Titanoboa’s size has led scientists to believe that it spent most of its time in the water, as getting around on land fast enough to catch prey would have been immensely difficult with all the bulk to carry around.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: