General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The junior class will be selling prom tickets during the lunch hour through Friday, 4/27/18. Tickets are $12 per person.
- This week is Student Leadership Week:
- Tomorrow there will be a change drive for Colleen’s Dream Foundation, a non-profit organization that funds research for ovarian cancer. Any spare change should be brought to your period 1 class.
- On Thursday, donations for the food pantry will be taken.
- A Spirit Day will be held on Friday, and those wishing to be elected for student government will be allowed to make speeches. The election will occur next week.
- The Fort Madison Area Arts Association Regional High School Art Competition will be open for viewing through Thursday, 4/26/18. Hours at the Fort Madison Area Arts Association Gallery, located at 825 Avenue G in Fort Madison, are from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. Congratulations to the following winners:
- Best of Show – Deanna Warner for acrylic painting.
- Photography: 2nd place – Nyssa Harris; 3rd place – Deanna Warner; Honorable Mention – Gage Hind.
- Color Drawing: 2nd place – Lily Scott.
- Three Dimensional: 3rd place – Amanda-Marie Jones; Honorable Mention – Taylor Barnes.
- Painting: 3rd place – Alonna Wilmot.
- Black & White Drawing: 2nd place – Alyssa Fincher.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- Good luck to the boys golf team at Fairfield against the Trojans and Demons of Washington this afternoon. Tee off time is 4:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys track team this evening at the Mid Prairie Relays. Events start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the girls track team tonight at Mount Pleasant. Events commence at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys tennis team at home against Fairfield this afternoon. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the girls tennis team at Fairfield this evening. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys soccer team today against Keokuk at the Baxter Sports Complex. Kick off is 5:30 PM.
- Attention all members of the Books R Us Club: please report to the makerspace at noon tomorrow for your group’s yearbook photo.
- GSA is hosting an art auction next week. The auction will also run during parent/teacher conferences on 4/25/18. Please bid on the amazing art!
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Fort Madison Public Library is looking for volunteer help. Please contact Amy Morris-Boyer or Chloe Rempe at the library to make arrangements.
- The elementary PTOs are looking for volunteers for the elementary school Fun Fest on Saturday from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Volunteers will also be needed for setup on Friday. If interested, please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 or email him at email@example.com.
- Fort Madison Main Street is taking volunteers for Mayhem on the Mississippi on Friday, 5/4/18 and Saturday, 5/5/18. A variety of options are available, from setup to teardown and clean up. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 319-372-5471.
- Fort Madison Main Street is asking for volunteers to assist in planting flowers in downtown Fort Madison in May. Exact dates have not been determined. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com or call her at 319-372-5471.
- The Fort Madison Partners are looking for individuals to assist in painting houses during the week of 5/7/18 to 5/12/18. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Happy birthday to Cameron Bowman and Megan Jordan.
- Happy birthday on July 17 to Devin Wilson.
- Cowboy cavatini or chicken chili;
- Baked beans and/or broccoli;
- Mandarin oranges and/or banana.
Word of the Day:
- Gratuity- noun [gruh-too-ity]
- A tip given to a waiter, taxicab driver, etc. As in: I had just enough money to give the waitress 25% gratuity.
This Day in History: 1790 – American statesman, printer, scientist, and writer Benjamin Franklin dies in Philadelphia at the age of 84.
Fact of the Day: Benjamin Franklin was the first American scientist to be highly regarded in European scientific circles. Franklin coined many of the terms used in discussing electricity in his scientific writings, including positive, negative, battery, and conductor.
#StrangeButTrue: The chances of you being struck by lightning in your lifetime is one in 3,000. The irrational fear of it occurring is called keraunophobia.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: