General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The Fort Madison Area Arts Association Regional High School Art Competition will be open for viewing through Thursday, 4/26/18. Hours at the Fort Madison Area Arts Association Gallery, located at 825 Avenue G in Fort Madison, are from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. There will be a reception for the show on Saturday from 2:00 to 4:00 PM where award winners will be recognized for their work.
FMHS Activities @FMHSActivities:
- No activities today.
- GSA is hosting an art auction next week. The auction will also run during parent/teacher conferences on 4/25/18. Please bid on the amazing art!
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Fort Madison Public Library is looking for volunteer help. Please contact Amy Morris-Boyer or Chloe Rempe at the library to make arrangements.
- The Fort Madison Shrine Club is asking for volunteers to help this Sunday from 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM at their child ID program being held during Burlington’s Day of the Child at Westland Mall in West Burlington. Volunteers will be performing simple computer data entry and/or camera operations. If you are interested in volunteering contact Amy Miller 319-752-5103/319-750-1943 or Ron Miller 319-750-9134.
- Fort Madison Main Street is taking volunteers for Mayhem on the Mississippi on Friday, 5/4/18 and Saturday, 5/5/18. A variety of options are available, from setup to teardown and clean up. Please contact email@example.com or call her at 319-372-5471.
- Fort Madison Main Street is asking for volunteers to assist in planting flowers in downtown Fort Madison in May. Exact dates have not been determined. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 319-372-5471.
- The Fort Madison Partners are looking for individuals to assist in painting houses during the week of 5/7/18 to 5/12/18. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com.
- Happy birthday to Joseph Stephens.
- Happy birthday on July 11 to Claire Hellman, Danen Settles, and Abby Wiemann.
- Taco or baked ham w/ dinner roll;
- Baked bean & corn salsa and/or sweet potatoes;
- Orange half and/or peaches.
Word of the Day:
- Aptly- adverb [apt-lee]
- In a manner that is appropriate or suitable in the circumstances. As in: Florida is aptly named the “Sunshine state.”
This Day in History: 1970 – Apollo 13, which would have become the third lunar landing mission, is launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida. The vessel, carrying three astronauts, would never reach the moon, and only narrowly made it back to Earth.
Fact of the Day: The Apollo 13 lunar mission was made into a motion picture in 1995. The director went to great lengths to create a technically accurate movie, employing NASA’s technical assistance in astronaut and flight controller training for the cast. The film was nominated for nine Academy Awards, winning for Best Film Editing and Best Sound. It was very positively received by critics.
#StrangeButTrue: After the explosion on Apollo 13, the crew went on one-fifth water rations and would later endure cabin temperatures that hovered a few degrees above freezing. Removal of carbon dioxide was also a problem, and an impromptu adapter out of materials known to be onboard was built in Houston by mission control. The crew successfully copied their model to survive. Despite estimated chances of survival of less than 20%, the three astronauts made it home alive.
Quote of the Day:
For Our Parents: