General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Good luck on your final exams! Have a safe and productive summer.
- Students: It is your responsibility to clean your locker and remove all items before you leave the building today. Items left in lockers will become the possession of Fort Madison Community School District after the school year has ended, and will likely be donated.
- Students: You are expected to turn your chromebooks and chromebook cases into the media center before leaving the building for the school year. Lunch will be provided in the MPR. Failure to turn your chromebook or chromebook case in before you leave will result in the chromebook and case being reported as stolen. Please make sure that all necessary components accompany the chromebook when it is turned in. Once you have completed this task, you are free to leave the building.
- Students: the Fort Madison Board of Education recently voted to allow students to be exempted from Physical Education if the student participates in an approved interscholastic sport. The waiver form to be exempted from PE can be found here. Waiver forms must be signed and returned to the main office no later than 3:30 PM today. Waivers will not be accepted after this afternoon. You will be enrolled and stay enrolled in a PE course during the 2017/2018 school year if the waiver does not come in on time.
- Don’t forget to order your 2016/2017 yearbook. The deadline is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a form, please see the bulletin board outside of room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Add $5 to personalize, and $2 if you’d like icons on the cover.
- There will be a parent meeting for all student’s parents interested in playing football next year on Tuesday, 5/30/16. The meeting will be held in the MPR at 6:30 PM. Student-athletes are not required, but welcome. Please make sure a parent/guardian attends for you.
- Good luck to the varsity baseball and softball teams as they host the Demons of Washington this evening. Games start at 5:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the JV softball team as they travel to Burlington this afternoon. Game starts at 5:30 PM
- Good luck to the baseball and softball teams this summer as they play out their schedules. #bloodhoundnation will be in the stands rooting you on!
- Happy birthday to Allison Brune.
- Happy birthday to Sergio Trejo on May 28th.
- Happy birthday to Kaleb Blaesing on May 29th.
- Happy birthday to Christopher Brown on May 30th.
- Happy birthday to Jace Prado on May 31st.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- Volunteers are needed at the Old Fort and the North Lee County Santa Fe Museum. Contact #’s are as follows:
- Old Fort – (319) 372-7700 (ask to speak to Dr. Watkins about volunteering).
- Sante Fe Museum (319) 372-7661
- The Road to Carthage Marathon is looking for several volunteers on Saturday. Volunteers are needed for aid stations, at the finish line, in the food tent, and in traffic support. Any interested individual should call Chris Chauncey at (760) 681-0922.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Volunteers are needed to help plant flowers in the downtown planters, and to help weed those planters. This can be done after school.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Depot Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Cook’s choice.
Word of the Day: Gadzookery – noun [gad-zoo-kuh-ree]
- The use of old-fashioned or outdated language.
- “Yonder lies the castle of my brethren” is an example of gadzookery.
This Day in History: 1897 – Horror writer Bram Stoker’s classic vampire tale, Dracula, is first offered for sale in London.
Fact of the Day: Vampires–who left their burial places at night to drink the blood of humans–were popular figures in folk tales from ancient times, but Bram Stoker’s novel catapulted them into the mainstream of 20th-century literature.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? The billionth digit of pi is 9.