General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Students: On Friday, after you have completed testing, you are expected to turn your chromebooks and chromebook cases into the media center before leaving the building for the school year. Lunch will be provided in the MPR. Failure to turn your chromebook or chromebook case in before you leave will result in the chromebook and case being reported as stolen. Please make sure that all necessary components accompany the chromebook when it is turned in. Once you have completed this task, you are free to leave the building.
- Students: the Fort Madison Board of Education recently voted to allow students to be exempted from Physical Education if the student participates in an approved interscholastic sport. The waiver form to be exempted from PE can be found here. Waiver forms must be signed and returned to the main office no later than 3:30 PM on Friday.
- Don’t forget to order your 2016/2017 yearbook. The deadline is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a form, please see the bulletin board outside of room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Add $5 to personalize, and $2 if you’d like icons on the cover.
- There will be a parent meeting for all student’s parents interested in playing football next year on Tuesday, 5/30/16. The meeting will be held in the MPR at 6:30 PM. Student-athletes are not required, but welcome. Please make sure a parent/guardian attends for you.
- Good luck to the varsity softball and baseball teams as they travel to West Burlington this evening to take on the Falcons. Games start at 5:30 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Road to Carthage Marathon is looking for several volunteers on Saturday. Volunteers are needed for aid stations, at the finish line, in the food tent, and in traffic support. Any interested individual should call Chris Chauncey at (760) 681-0922.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at email@example.com with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Volunteers are needed to help plant flowers in the downtown planters, and to help weed those planters. This can be done after school.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Depot Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Lanie Kuntz and Trey Kuntz.
- Chicken patty sandwich;
- Roasted broccoli and/or salad;
- Mandarin oranges and/or mixed fruit.
Word of the Day: Nudnik – noun [nude-nick]
- A person who is a bore or a nuisance.
- James worried that he would never finish his work if the office nudnik didn’t stop hanging out around his cubicle.
This Day in History: 1935 – The Cincinnati Reds beat the Philadelphia Phillies 2-1 in Major League Baseball’s first-ever night game, played courtesy of recently installed lights at Crosby Field in Cincinnati.
Fact of the Day: The first-ever night game in professional baseball took place on May 2, 1930 in Des Moines, Iowa when the team that played there hosted a team from Wichita in a Western League game.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Pirates didn’t cover one eye with a patch to look mean, they did so to improve their night vision.