General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The Fort Madison Parks & Recreation Department will be offering an American red Cross Lifeguard Class starting on Tuesday, 5/30/17. Classes will be held at the Fort Madison Municipal Swimming Pool. Participants must be 15 years of age. Valid identification is required. Goggles and swimsuit are expected. The cost to enroll in the course is $90.00. Checks can be made payable to Fort Madison Parks and Recreation. Please register at the Fort Madison Municipal Swimming Pool on the day at the pretest. Contact email@example.com for for more information if if you were unable to make the pretest date. The class schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, 5/30/17: 9:00 AM-3:00 PM;
- Wednesday, 5/31/17; 9:00 AM-3:00 PM.
- Our foreign exchange student, Paula Herrmann, is conducting a survey for a research project she is completing and could use your help. Please assist her by filling out this survey.
- Students: the Fort Madison Board of Education recently voted to allow students to be exempted from Physical Education if the student participates in an approved interscholastic sport. The waiver form to be exempted from PE can be found here. Waiver forms must be signed and returned to the main office no later than 3:30 PM on Friday.
- Don’t forget to order your 2016/2017 yearbook. The deadline is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a form, please see the bulletin board outside of room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Add $5 to personalize, and $2 if you’d like icons on the cover.
- There will be a parent meeting for all student’s parents interested in playing football next year on Tuesday, 5/30/16. The meeting will be held in the MPR at 6:30 PM. Student-athletes are not required, but welcome. Please make sure a parent/guardian attends for you.
- Good luck to the JV softball team as they host Davenport West this evening. Game starts at 5:00 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Road to Carthage Marathon is looking for several volunteers on Saturday. Volunteers are needed for aid stations, at the finish line, in the food tent, and in traffic support. Any interested individual should call Chris Chauncey at (760) 681-0922.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Volunteers are needed to help plant flowers in the downtown planters, and to help weed those planters. This can be done after school.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Depot Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Parker Denning.
- Corn and/or salad;
- Peaches and/or pears.
Word of the Day: Factoid – noun [fak-toyd]
- A briefly stated and usually trivial fact.
- Baseball cards often include interesting factoids about the players’ personal lives.
This Day in History: 1934 – Notorious criminals Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow are shot to death by Texas and Louisiana state police while driving a stolen car in Louisiana.
Fact of the Day: All told, Bonnie and Clyde are believed to be responsible for the deaths of 13 people, including nine police officers. Unfortunately, the couple are seen by many as romantic figures.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Chimpanzees, monkeys, dogs, mice, and a guinea pig have all journeyed into space.