General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The Fort Madison Parks & Recreation Department will be offering an American red Cross Lifeguard Class starting on Tuesday, 5/30/17. Classes will be held at the Fort Madison Municipal Swimming Pool. Participants must be 15 years of age. Valid identification is required. Goggles and swimsuit are expected. The cost to enroll in the course is $90.00. Checks can be made payable to Fort Madison Parks and Recreation. Please register at the Fort Madison Municipal Swimming Pool on the day at the pretest. Contact email@example.com for for more information if if you are unable to make the pretest date. The class schedule is as follows:
- Today: 4:15-5:00 PM (Pretest);
- Tuesday, 5/30/17: 9:00 AM-3:00 PM;
- Wednesday, 5/31/17; 9:00 AM-3:00 PM.
- Our foreign exchange student, Paula Herrmann, is conducting a survey for a research project she is completing and could use your help. Please assist her by filling out this survey.
- Students: the Fort Madison Board of Education recently voted to allow students to be exempted from Physical Education if the student participates in an approved interscholastic sport. The waiver form to be exempted from PE can be found here. Waiver forms must be signed and returned to the main office no later than 3:30 PM on Friday, 5/26/17.
- Don’t forget to order your 2016/2017 yearbook. The deadline is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a form, please see the bulletin board outside of room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Add $5 to personalize, and $2 if you’d like icons on the cover.
- This is a reminder for all young men that are turning 18, or who have recently turned 18: As an adult male in the United States, you must register with the Selective Service System. You can register at www.sss.gov. Stop by the guidance office if you need more information.
- Any junior or senior girl interested in running for West Point Sweet Corn Festival Queen can pick up an application from Ms. Lange in the main office.
- There will be a parent meeting for all student’s parents interested in playing football next year on Tuesday, 5/30/16. The meeting will be held in the MPR at 6:30 PM. Student-athletes are not required, but welcome. Please make sure a parent/guardian attends for you.
- Good luck to the boys soccer team as they take on the Panthers of Mt. Pleasant in district play tonight. The game starts at 5:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls soccer teams as they host Mt. Pleasant tonight at the Baxter Sports Complex. Seniors for the soccer team and girls tennis team will be honored between games. Games start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the softball team as they begin their season this evening against Ottumwa at home. Game starts at 6:00 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Road to Carthage Marathon is looking for several volunteers on Saturday. Volunteers are needed for aid stations, at the finish line, in the food tent, and in traffic support. Any interested individual should call Chris Chauncey at (760) 681-0922.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Volunteers are needed to help plant flowers in the downtown planters, and to help weed those planters. This can be done after school.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Depot Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Max Slater from Saturday;
- Happy birthday to Lily Cadwallader and Hannah Fountain from Sunday.
- Pork fritter sandwich or popcorn chicken;
- Green beans and/or salad;
- Pineapple and/or apple slices;
Word of the Day: Iteration – noun [it-urr-a-shun]
- The repetition of a process.
- The latest iteration of the operating system fixed the glitch.
This Day in History: 1843 – The “Great Emigration” departs from Independence, Missouri, setting off down the Oregon Trail. The massive wagon train consisted of 1,000 settlers and their belongings.
Fact of the Day: The number of emigrants who used the Oregon Trail between the years of 1842 and 1845 exceeded 3,000. Travel along the route declined with the advent of the railroads, and the route was finally abandoned in the 1870s.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? The Oregon Trail, a computer-based game developed in the 1970s, has sold over 65 millions copies, including ten iterations, and has been a hallmark in elementary education.