General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Seniors: we’ve enjoyed your time at FMHS and hope that you have enjoyed it, as well. We wish you the best of luck in whichever direction life will take you. Make the most of it, and we look forward to hearing from you in the future!
- Our foreign exchange student, Paula Herrmann, is conducting a survey for a research project she is completing and could use your help. Please assist her by filling out this survey.
- Students: the Fort Madison Board of Education recently voted to allow students to be exempted from Physical Education if the student participates in an approved interscholastic sport. The waiver form to be exempted from PE can be found here. Waiver forms must be signed and returned to the main office no later than 3:30 PM on Friday, 5/26/17.
- Teachers: a reminder that grades for senior students are due at the end of business today.
- Seniors: make plans now to attend graduation practice on Thursday, 5/25/17 at 10:00 AM. Graduation will be on Saturday, 5/27/17 at 11:00 AM. Doors will open at 10:00 AM. Seniors are expected no later than 10:30 AM
- Seniors: Ms. Wiseman has senior “most” awards nomination papers in the office. There is also a sign-up sheet to attend the senior luncheon on Ms. Wiseman’s desk. The luncheon will be at McAleer Hall on Thursday, 5/25/17. Senior “most” awards will be presented at that time. The deadline to sign up for the luncheon is today. Senior “most” nominations are also due at that time.
- Ms. Puga in the library has asked that all books be returned by today. The library staff has enjoyed seeing all of the students in the library this year and look forward to seeing you again in the fall. If you’re not sure if you have books checked out, please email Ms. Puga or stop into the library.
- Don’t forget to order your 2016/2017 yearbook. The deadline is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a form, please see the bulletin board outside of room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Add $5 to personalize, and $2 if you’d like icons on the cover.
- This is a reminder for all young men that are turning 18, or who have recently turned 18: As an adult male in the United States, you must register with the Selective Service System. You can register at www.sss.gov. Stop by the guidance office if you need more information.
- Any junior or senior girl interested in running for West Point Sweet Corn Festival Queen can pick up an application from Ms. Lange in the main office.
- There will be a parent meeting for all student’s parents interested in playing football next year on Tuesday, 5/30/16. The meeting will be held in the MPR at 6:30 PM. Student-athletes are not required, but welcome. Please make sure a parent/guardian attends for you.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team tomorrow as they host Mediapolis at the Baxter Sports Complex tomorrow.
- Volleyball Players: there will be a short meeting Tuesday, 5/23/17 at 7:50 am in room 314 to make final determinations on summer plans. Please plan to attend.
- The CyberHounds will be hosting a video game tournament today starting at 4:00 PM. The game will be Rocket League and the cost will be $5 per person. Teams should consist of two people. You can register during lunch or at the event.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- PAWS Animal shelter will be holding their annual can drive tomorrow from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM in the SCC parking lot in Burlington. Any student wishing to volunteer should contact (319) 372-2274 to learn more. The help would be greatly appreciated!
- The Road to Carthage Marathon is looking for several volunteers on Saturday, 5/27/17. Volunteers are needed for aid stations, at the finish line, in the food tent, and in traffic support. Any interested individual should call Chris Chauncey at (760) 681-0922.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at email@example.com with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Volunteers are needed to help plant flowers in the downtown planters, and to help weed those planters. This can be done after school.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Depot Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Jamie Gregory.
- Pasta salad and/or baby carrots;
- Mandarin oranges and/or tropical fruit.
Word of the Day: Luscious – adjective [lush-us]
- Very extravagant or lavish.
- The food that the family ate on their cruise was very luscious.
This Day in History: 1943 – British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and US President Franklin Roosevelt set a date for the cross-Channel landing that would become D-Day—May 1, 1944.
Fact of the Day: The original date set for D-Day was May 1, 1944. That date would prove a bit premature, as bad weather became a factor. The actual date will be June 6, 1944.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? If the timeline of Earth was compressed into one calendar year, humans wouldn’t appear until December 31st at 11:58 PM.