General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Teachers: a reminder that grades for senior students are due at the end of business on Friday.
- Seniors: make plans now to attend graduation practice on Thursday, 5/25/17 at 10:00 AM. Graduation will be on Saturday, 5/27/17 at 11:00 AM. Doors will open at 10:00 AM. Seniors are expected no later than 10:30 AM
- Seniors: Ms. Wiseman has senior “most” awards nomination papers in the office. There is also a sign-up sheet to attend the senior luncheon on Ms. Wiseman’s desk. The luncheon will be at McAleer Hall on Thursday, 5/25/17. Senior “most” awards will be presented at that time. The deadline to sign up for the luncheon is Friday. Senior “most” nominations are also due at that time.
- Ms. Puga in the library has asked that all books be returned by Friday. The library staff has enjoyed seeing all of the students in the library this year and look forward to seeing you again in the fall. If you’re not sure if you have books checked out, please email Ms. Puga or stop into the library.
- Don’t forget to order your 2016/2017 yearbook. The deadline is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a form, please see the bulletin board outside of room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Add $5 to personalize, and $2 if you’d like icons on the cover.
- This is a reminder for all young men that are turning 18, or who have recently turned 18: As an adult male in the United States, you must register with the Selective Service System. You can register at www.sss.gov. Stop by the guidance office if you need more information.
- Any junior or senior girl interested in running for West Point Sweet Corn Festival Queen can pick up an application from Ms. Lange in the main office.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Depot Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Popcorn chicken or hot beef sandwich;
- Mashed potatoes;
- Peaches and/or pears;
Word of the Day: Luddite – noun [luhd-ahyt]
- Someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies:
- Mr. Smith is no luddite, but he trusts his paper notebook over any of his electronics.
This Day in History: 1929 – The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences hands out its first set of awards. Winners of the award receive an Oscar – a coveted gold-plated statuette.
Fact of the Day: The first official Best Picture winner (and only silent film to ever win Best Picture) was Wings, a movie about two World War I pilots who fall for the same woman.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Just like fingerprints, every person also has a unique tongue print.