General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Seniors: make plans now to attend graduation practice on Thursday, 5/25/17 at 10:00 AM.
- Seniors: Ms. Wiseman has senior “most” awards nomination papers in the office. There is also a sign-up sheet to attend the senior luncheon on Ms. Wiseman’s desk. The luncheon will be at McAleer Hall on Thursday, 5/25/17. Senior “most” awards will be presented at that time. The deadline to sign p for the luncheon is Friday, 5/19/17. Senior “most” nominations are also due at that time.
- Ms. Puga in the library has asked that all books be returned by Friday, 5/19/17. The library staff has enjoyed seeing all of the students in the library this year and look forward to seeing you again in the fall. If you’re not sure if you have books checked out, please email Ms. Puga or stop into the library.
- Don’t forget to order your 2016/2017 yearbook. The deadline is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a form, please see the bulletin board outside of room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Add $5 to personalize, and $2 if you’d like icons on the cover.
- Give a kiss for GSA! Buy a bag of Hershey’s Kisses for you, your friends, or “kiss” a senior goodbye for $1 per bag of Kisses and a personalized note. Kisses will be sold during lunch through Friday. Kisses will also be delivered on that day.
- This is a reminder for all young men that are turning 18. As an adult male in the United States, you must register with the Selective Service System. You can register at www.sss.gov. Stop by the guidance office if you need more information.
- Any junior or senior girl interested in running for West Point Sweet Corn Festival Queen can pick up an application from Ms. Lange in the main office.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team as they travel to Davenport North this evening. Game starts at 4:30 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Kaela Baker.
- Omelet or biscuits and gravy;
- Diced potatoes and/or spinach;
- Mandarin oranges and/or fruit cocktail;
- May birthday treats.
Word of the Day: Annotation – noun [anoh-tayshun]
- A note of explanation or comment added to text or a diagram:
- Many students use annotation to help them better understand textbook materials.
This Day in History: 1858 – Minnesota, known as the “Land of 10,000 Lakes,” becomes the 32nd state of the United States of America.
Fact of the Day: The Los Angeles Lakers are named so because they initially played in Minneapolis. The name “Lakers” is in honor of the state of Minnesota’s nickname, “Land of 10,000 Lakes.”
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? It would take a modern spacecraft 78,000 years to get to the nearest star to Earth, Alpha Centauri A, which is 4.3 light years away.