General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- FMHS is holding a peanut butter drive challenge. The challenge will see which class can raise the most jars by Friday, 5/12/17. Skippy peanut butter will be on sale at Hy-Vee on Friday and Saturday for $0.98. Deliver your jars to the media center.
- There will be a dance team tryout meeting today at 4:00 PM in room 202. If you have questions, please see Mr. Mitchell in the main office.
- Good luck to the boys tennis team as they host Mt. Pleasant this afternoon. Matches start at 3:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the golf team as they take on Mt. Pleasant and Washington in Mt. Pleasant this evening. Tee off is at 4:00 PM.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team as they host Davenport West at the Baxter Sports Complex this evening at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the golf team as they play in the Central Lee Invite tomorrow at Green Acres Golf Course. Tee off is 7:30 AM.
- Good luck to the boys soccer teams as they travel to Davenport Assumption tomorrow. Games start at 10:00 AM.
- The FMHS Key Club will be holding a rummage sale tomorrow from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM at FMHS.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Eagles Club is hosting a taco supper at the Eagles Club today from 4:00 to 8:00 PM. They are in need of at least 6 dishwashers. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Kohl in the guidance office.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday to help load food and to assist in checking visitors in.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Hot dog or spicy chicken sandwich;
- French fries and/or country blend vegetables;
- Blueberries and/or applesauce;
Word of the Day: Visceral – adjective [viss-uh-rull]
- Relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect.:
- Voters have a visceral fear of change in national elections.
This Day in History: 1961 – From Cape Canaveral, Florida, Navy Commander Alan Shepard is launched into space aboard the Freedom 7 space capsule, becoming the first American astronaut to travel into space.
Fact of the Day: NASA, established in 1958 to keep US space efforts on par with Soviet achievements, would put men on the moon a mere 11 years after its birth. Alan Shepard, the first American to go into space, would also become the fifth man to walk on the moon in 1971.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? A group of kangaroos is called a mob.