General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- FMHS is holding a peanut butter drive challenge. The challenge will see which class can raise the most jars by Friday, 5/12/17. Skippy peanut butter will be on sale at Hy-Vee on Friday and Saturday for $0.98. Deliver your jars to the media center.
- There will be a dance team tryout meeting tomorrow at 4:00 PM in room 202. If you have questions, please see Mr. Mitchell in the main office.
- Good luck to the boys tennis team as they travel to Macomb this afternoon. Matches start at 4:00 PM.
- Best of luck to track teams as they participate in the Southeast Conference track meet this evening. The meet will be help in Mt. Pleasant, and events start at 5:00 PM.
- Good luck to the boys soccer team as they travel to Mt. Pleasant to take on the Panthers this evening. Games start at 4:30 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Eagles Club is hosting a taco supper at the Eagles Club today from 4:00 to 8:00 PM. They are in need of at least 6 dishwashers. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Kohl in the guidance office.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday to help load food and to assist in checking visitors in.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Madison Monaco.
- Macaroni and cheese or mini corn dogs;
- Peas and/or carrots
- Strawberries and/or apricots.
Word of the Day: Bilingual – adjective [bye-lynn-gwull]
- A person who speaks two languages fluently:
- Senor Smith and Seniorita Crooks are bilingual teachers.
This Day in History: 1970 – 28 National Guardsmen fire their weapons at a group of antiwar demonstrators on the Kent State University Campus, killing four students, wounding eight, and permanently paralyzing another.
Fact of the Day: The Kent State shootings on May 4, 1970 led to a significant national response, causing hundreds of universities, colleges, and high schools to close throughout the United States due to over four million students striking in response to the matter.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? A librocubicularist is someone who reads in bed.