General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Congratulations to Korrinna Kettle, Brittney Sanford and Nakia Ross. They have won the IHSBA Reading Promotion this month! Stop in the library and choose a book!
- FMHS is holding a peanut butter drive challenge. The challenge will see which class can raise the most jars by Friday, 5/12/17. Deliver your jars to the media center.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be hosting a dodgeball tournament on Wednesday at 6:00 PM in the FMHS gym.
- There will be a volleyball meeting for girls currently in grades 9-11 tomorrow in room 313 at 7:45 AM. You will be discussing summer plans and be given information for next season. If you have questions, please contact Coach Bailey.
- Good luck to the boys and girls track teams as they head to Fairfield for the Fairfield Invite this evening. Events start at 5:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team as they host Keokuk this afternoon. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the boys soccer teams as they host Fairfield this evening at the Baxter Sports Complex. Games start at 5:30 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Eagles Club is hosting a taco supper at the Eagles Club on Wednesday from 4:00 to 8:00 PM. They are in need of at least 6 dishwashers. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Kohl in the guidance office.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at email@example.com with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday to help load food and to assist in checking visitors in.
- @FMHSActivities is looking for volunteers to work the FMMS track this evening. The meet is held at the high school track. You would need to report by 4:00 PM to earn hours and should be done no later than 8:00 PM. Help is needed in moving items around the track, timing events, helping with field events, and sorting results. No prior knowledge of track an field is required. If interested, please see Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Tieshia Marshall and Courtney Six from Saturday.
- Happy birthday to Courtney Warner from Sunday.
- Turkey fritter;
- Sweet potatoes and/or california blend vegetables;
- Pears and/or tropical fruit.
Word of the Day: Theoretical – adjective [thyee-uh-rhet-ih-kull]
- Based on or calculated through theory rather than experience or practice:
- Theoretically, you could dig to China. In practice, it wouldn’t work.
This Day in History: 1931 – President Herbert Hoover officially dedicates the Empire State Building. At the time, the building was the tallest skyscraper in the world.
Fact of the Day: In 1972, the Empire State Building lost its title as the tallest building on Earth to the World Trade Center. Today, the tallest skyscraper in the world is the Burj Khalifa Tower in Dubai, which soars 2,717 feet into the sky.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Digging a hole to China is theoretically possible if you start in Argentina.