General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- FMHS will be holding a peanut butter drive challenge. The challenge will see which class can raise the most jars by Friday, 5/12/17. Deliver your jars to the media center.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be hosting a dodgeball tournament on Wednesday, 5/3/17 at 6:00 PM in the FMHS gym. The time has changed from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Teachers and students are welcome. Teams should consist of 10 individuals. An entrance fee of $5 per team member will be required. Please see Ms. Holterhaus in room 202 to sign up. The last day to sign up will be Friday.
- Students can now sign up for after prom, which will be held at FMMS this year. You can sign up at Ms. Jones’s desk in the office or when you buy your prom tickets in the cafeteria.
- There will be a volleyball meeting for girls currently in grades 9-11 on Tuesday, 5/2/17 in room 313 at 7:45 AM. You will be discussing summer plans and be given information for next season. If you have questions, please contact Coach Bailey.
- Drama Club is looking for members for next school year. There will be meetings today at 8:00 AM and 3:20 PM, and tomorrow at 8:00 AM. Meetings will be held in room 304. Ms. Ljungkull is wanting your ideas.
- Good luck to the boys tennis team as they play Mt. Pleasant at home this afternoon. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team as they travel to Mt. Pleasant to take on the Panthers this evening. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the boys soccer team as they host the Chiefs of Keokuk this afternoon at the Baxter Sports Complex. Games start at 5:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the golf team tomorrow as they participate in the Fairfield Invite. Tee off will be at 8:00 AM at the Fairfield Golf and Country Club.
- Be safe and responsible tomorrow during the prom festivities. Make #bloodhoundnation proud!
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Eagles Club is hosting a taco supper at the Eagles Club on Wednesday, 5/3/17 from 4:00 to 8:00 PM. They are in need of at least 6 dishwashers. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Kohl in the guidance office.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday, 5/7/17 to help load food.
- @FMHSActivities is looking for volunteers to work the FMMS track meet on Monday. The meet is held at the high school track. You would need to report by 4:00 PM to earn hours and should be done no later than 8:00 PM. Help is needed in moving items around the track, timing events, helping with field events, and sorting results. No prior knowledge of track an field is required. If interested, please see Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Tiffany Boyle and Katherine Young. (August 27).
- Baby carrots and/or celery sticks;
- Applesauce and/or fresh apples;
Word of the Day: Induct – verb [in-dukt]
- To admit formally into a position or organization:
- Soldiers must complete boot camp to be formally inducted into service.
This Day in History: 1967 – Boxing champion Muhammad Ali refused to be inducted into the US Army and is immediately stripped of his heavyweight title.
Fact of the Day: Muhammad Ali was born Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr. He changed his name after converting to the religion of Islam, which he cited in 1967 as the reason for his refusal to be inducted into the US Army.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? If you sneeze while traveling 60 mph, your eyes are closed for approximately 50 feet.