General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- As mentioned by Mr. Smith yesterday, FMHS will be holding a peanut butter drive challenge. The challenge will see which class can raise the most jars by Friday, 5/12/17. Deliver your jars to the media center.
- The YMCA is looking for baseball and softball umpires for the upcoming season. The season starts in early May and is over by the end of June. These are paid positions. There will be a clinic Wednesday at 6:00 pm at Baxter Sports Complex. Anyone interested in umpiring contact Justina Spear at 372-2403.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be hosting a dodgeball tournament on Wednesday, 5/3/17 at 6:00 PM in the FMHS gym. The time has changed from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Teachers and students are welcome. Teams should consist of 10 individuals. An entrance fee of $5 per team member will be required. Please see Ms. Holterhaus in room 202 to sign up. The last day to sign up will be Friday.
- Prom tickets will be available for purchase through lunch today. Single tickets are $15. Couples tickets are $25.
- Devan Marie will be taking photos at Prom. If you would like to have photos taken at prom, please stop by the table in the MPR during lunch to receive an order form. The form and money can be turned into the table at lunch, or to Mrs. Harter in guidance. You will be given an appointment time for your photos with your prom tickets.
- Students can now sign up for after prom, which will be held at FMMS this year. You can sign up at Ms. Jones’s desk in the office or when you buy your prom tickets in the cafeteria.
- The FFA will be hosting a blood drive today. There will be FFA members in the MPR during lunch if you would like to sign up to donate blood. You can also sign up at the Online Blood Center using code 5171.
- There will be a volleyball meeting for girls currently in grades 9-11 on Tuesday, 5/2/17 in room 313 at 7:45 AM. You will be discussing summer plans and be given information for next season. If you have questions, please contact Coach Bailey.
- Drama Club is looking for members for next school year. There will be meetings today at 8:00 AM and 3:20 PM, and tomorrow at 8:00 AM. Meetings will be held in room 304. Ms. Ljungkull is wanting your ideas.
- All students wanting to audition for the High School Color Guard – Auditions and rehearsals will be held on the following days and places. Please see Mr. Madsen with any questions:
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- Good luck to the boys tennis team as they travel to Keokuk to take on the Chiefs this evening. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls soccer team as they travel south to Keokuk to do battle against the Chiefs this evening. Game starts at 5:00 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Eagles Club is hosting a taco supper at the Eagles Club on Wednesday, 5/3/17 from 4:00 to 8:00 PM. They are in need of at least 6 dishwashers. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Kohl in the guidance office.
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at email@example.com with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday, 5/7/17 to help load food.
- @FMHSActivities is looking for volunteers to work the FMMS track meet on Monday. The meet is held at the high school track. You would need to report by 4:00 PM to earn hours and should be done no later than 8:00 PM. Help is needed in moving items around the track, timing events, helping with field events, and sorting results. No prior knowledge of track an field is required. If interested, please see Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Francisco Trejo and Jillian Wiseman.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Jewlia Krueger and Brayden Molzhon. (August 27).
- Burrito or quesadilla;
- Corn and/or refried beans;
- Mandarin oranges and/or mixed fruit.
Word of the Day: Circumnavigate – verb [sir-kuhm-nah-vuh-gayt]
- To travel all of the way around:
- It is difficult to circumnavigate the globe by sea.
This Day in History: 1521 – Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan is killed by a poisonous arrow during a tribal skirmish in the Philippines.
Fact of the Day: While Magellan was no longer alive to witness the history, one of his ships, the Victoria, became the first ship to circumnavigate the globe, doing so a mere five months after Magellan’s death.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? The least financially successful Harry Potter movie made $90 million more than the most successful Twilight movie.