General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The YMCA is looking for baseball and softball umpires for the upcoming season. The season starts in early May and is over by the end of June. These are paid positions. There will be a clinic Wednesday at 6:00 pm at Baxter Sports Complex. Anyone interested in umpiring contact Justina Spear at 372-2403.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be hosting a dodgeball tournament on Wednesday, 5/3/17 at 4:00 PM in the FMHS gym. Teachers and students are welcome. Teams should consist of 10 individuals. An entrance fee of $5 per team member will be required. Please see Ms. Holterhaus in room 202 to sign up. The last day to sign up will be Friday.
- Yearbooks are now for sale. The deadline for purchase is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a purchase form, see the bulletin board by room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Personalization is an extra $5, and icons on the cover are an additional $2.
- Prom tickets will be available for purchase during lunch through tomorrow. Single tickets are $15. Couples tickets are $25.
- Devan Marie will be taking photos at Prom. If you would like to have photos taken at prom, please stop by the table in the MPR during lunch to receive an order form. The form and money can be turned into the table at lunch, or to Mrs. Harter in guidance. You will be given an appointment time for your photos with your prom tickets.
- Students can now sign up for after prom, which will be held at FMMS this year. You can sign up at Ms. Jones’s desk in the office or when you buy your prom tickets in the cafeteria.
- The FFA will be hosting a blood drive tomorrow. There will be FFA members in the MPR during lunch if you would like to sign up to donate blood. You can also sign up at the Online Blood Center using code 5171.
- Drama Club is looking for members for next school year. There will be meetings on Thursday at 8:00 AM and 3:20 PM, and Friday at 8:00 AM. Meetings will be held in room 304. Ms. Ljungkull is wanting your ideas.
- All students wanting to audition for the High School Color Guard – Auditions and rehearsals will be held on the following days and places. Please see Mr. Madsen with any questions:
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at email@example.com with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday, 5/7/17 to help load food.
- @FMHSActivities is looking for volunteers to work the FMMS track meet on Monday, 5/1/17. The meet is held at the high school track. You would need to report by 4:00 PM to earn hours and should be done no later than 8:00 PM. Help is needed in moving items around the track, timing events, helping with field events, and sorting results. No prior knowledge of track an field is required. If interested, please see Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- Happy birthday to Dalyn Wondra.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Trevin Gilpin, Raven Harriott, Cole Kruse, and Kayla Parrish. (August 26).
- Spaghetti or chicken strips;
- Green beans and/or winter mix vegetables;
- Peaches and/or tropical fruit mix;
Word of the Day: Vaccine – noun [vak-seen]
- A substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies to provide immunity against disease:
- Numerous vaccines are required for students to attend public schools.
This Day in History: 1954 – Polio vaccine trials begin in the United States, Canada, and Finland. Polio, an infectious virus, reached epidemic proportions in the 1940s around the world. There is no known cure for the disease.
Fact of the Day: Today, polio has been eliminated throughout most of the world due to the vaccine, which is common in child immunizations.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? The national animal of Scotland is the unicorn.