General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The YMCA is looking for baseball and softball umpires for the upcoming season. The season starts in early May and is over by the end of June. These are paid positions. There will be a clinic Wednesday at 6:00 pm at Baxter Sports Complex. Anyone interested in umpiring contact Justina Spear at 372-2403.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be hosting a dodgeball tournament on Wednesday, 5/3/17 at 4:00 PM in the FMHS gym. Teachers and students are welcome. Teams should consist of 10 individuals. An entrance fee of $5 per team member will be required. Please see Ms. Holterhaus in room 202 to sign up. The last day to sign up will be Friday.
- Yearbooks are now for sale. The deadline for purchase is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a purchase form, see the bulletin board by room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Personalization is an extra $5, and icons on the cover are an additional $2.
- Prom tickets will be available for purchase during lunch through Thursday. Single tickets are $15. Couples tickets are $25.
- Devan Marie will be taking photos at Prom. If you would like to have photos taken at prom, please stop by the table in the MPR during lunch to receive an order form. The form and money can be turned into the table at lunch, or to Mrs. Harter in guidance. You will be given an appointment time for your photos with your prom tickets.
- Students in grades 9-11: your schedule requests for next school year are available for pick up in the counseling office. You should pick those up and take them home to your parents.
- The FFA will be hosting a blood drive on Thursday. There will be FFA members in the MPR during lunch if you would like to sign up to donate blood. You can also sign up at the Online Blood Center using code 5171.
- Drama Club is looking for members for next school year. There will be meetings on Thursday at 8:00 AM and 3:20 PM, and Friday at 8:00 AM. Meetings will be held in room 304. Ms. Ljungkull is wanting your ideas.
- All students wanting to audition for the High School Color Guard – Auditions and rehearsals will be held on the following days and places. Please see Mr. Madsen with any questions:
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- Best of luck to the golf team as they travel to Donnellson this afternoon to challenge the Hawks of Central Lee and Crusaders of Holy Trinity. Tee-off is 4:00 PM.
- Good luck to the boys track team as they participate in the Mediapolis Invite this afternoon. Events start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls track team as they head to Keokuk this evening. Events begin at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the boys tennis team as they host Fairfield this afternoon. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team as they travel to Fairfield to take on the Trojans this evening. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team tonight as they play Fairfield at home. The game starts at 4:30 PM at the Baxter Sports Complex.
- Best of luck to the boys soccer team as they travel to Fairfield to play the Trojans this evening. Games start at 5:30 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at email@example.com with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday, 5/7/17 to help load food.
- @FMHSActivities is looking for volunteers to work the FMMS track meet on Monday, 5/1/17. The meet is held at the high school track. You would need to report by 4:00 PM to earn hours and should be done no later than 8:00 PM. Help is needed in moving items around the track, timing events, helping with field events, and sorting results. No prior knowledge of track an field is required. If interested, please see Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- The 2017 Community Clean Up is scheduled for Saturday, rain or shine. Registration will occur at 9:00 M at Central Park. Registered workers are encouraged to return to Central Park after the clean up for a free lunch. If you have questions, please contact the Chamber office at (319) 372-5471.
- The public library is looking for a few volunteers to help on Saturday from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. If you are interested, please contact Melissa Derr at email@example.com.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Kammy Booten and Jalen kutcher (August 25).
- Corn dog or meatball sub sandwich;
- Baked beans and/or celery sticks;
- Apricots and/or strawberries.
Word of the Day: Marred – verb [mahrd]
- To impair the appearance of; disfigured:
- The blood and sweat marred the player’s face.
This Day in History: 1859 – Ground is broken for the Suez Canal, which will eventually stretch 101 miles and connect the Mediterranean and Red Seas.
Fact of the Day: An Average of 50 ships navigate the Suez Canal daily, carrying more than 300 million tons of goods per year.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? In 2013, Toy Story was remade, shot-for-shot, with real toys and real people. You can watch the video here.