General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- All students wanting to audition for the High School Color Guard – Auditions and rehearsals will be held on the following days and places. Please see Mr. Madsen with any questions:
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- The YMCA is looking for baseball and softball umpires for the upcoming season. The season starts in early May and is over by the end of June. These are paid positions. There will be a clinic Wednesday at 6:00 pm at Baxter Sports Complex. Anyone interested in umpiring contact Justina Spear at 372-2403.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be hosting a dodgeball tournament on Wednesday, 5/3/17 at 4:00 PM in the FMHS gym. Teachers and students are welcome. Teams should consist of 10 individuals. An entrance fee of $5 per team member will be required. Please see Ms. Holterhaus in room 202 to sign up. The last day to sign up will be Friday.
- Yearbooks are now for sale. The deadline for purchase is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a purchase form, see the bulletin board by room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Personalization is an extra $5, and icons on the cover are an additional $2.
- Prom tickets will be available for purchase during lunch through Thursday. Single tickets are $15. Couples tickets are $25.
- Devan Marie will be taking photos at Prom. If you would like to have photos taken at prom, please stop by the table in the MPR during lunch to receive an order form. The form and money can be turned into the table at lunch, or to Mrs. Harter in guidance. You will be given an appointment time for your photos with your prom tickets.
- Students in grades 9-11: your schedule requests for next school year are available for pick up in the counseling office. You should pick those up and take them home to your parents.
- The FFA will be hosting a blood drive on Thursday. There will be FFA members in the MPR during lunch if you would like to sign up to donate blood. You can also sign up at the Online Blood Center using code 5171.
- Good luck to the girls soccer team as they travel to Macomb this evening. Game starts at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls track team as they head to Van Buren this afternoon to participate in the Van Buren Invite. Events start at 4:45 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Fort Madison Food Pantry to looking for volunteers for the following events. Please contact Denise Fraise at email@example.com with questions or if you would like to volunteer:
- Community Garden – an ongoing venture with multiple dates and times.
- Iowa State Penitentiary tours – volunteers are needed on Sunday, 5/7/17 to help load food.
- @FMHSActivities is looking for volunteers to work the FMMS track meets today, and Monday, 5/1/17. These meets are held at the high school track. You would need to report by 4:00 PM to earn hours and should be done no later than 8:00 PM. Help is needed in moving items around the track, timing events, helping with field events, and sorting results. No prior knowledge of track an field is required. If interested, please see Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- The 2017 Community Clean Up is scheduled for Saturday, rain or shine. Registration will occur at 9:00 M at Central Park. Registered workers are encouraged to return to Central Park after the clean up for a free lunch. If you have questions, please contact the Chamber office at (319) 372-5471.
- The public library is looking for a few volunteers to help on Saturday from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. If you are interested, please contact Melissa Derr at email@example.com.
- Happy birthday from Saturday to Alyssa Gilpin.
- Happy birthday from Sunday to Joshua Faulkner, Trent Fraise, and Alexis Huston.
- Happy birthday to Joshua Baker.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Logan Allen, Kiara Fontanese, and Jackilynn Hayes (August 22).
- Happy un-birthday to Jenna Jones (August 23).
- Happy un-birthday to Isaac Gerveler, Kelly Russell, and Kammy Booten (August 24).
- Chicken patty sandwich or Uncrustable;
- Glazed carrots and/or macaroni salad;
- Pears and/or pineapples.
Word of the Day: Interminable – adjective [in-tur-min-uh-bull]
- Having, or seeming to have, no end:
- The threat of nuclear war is interminable.
This Day in History: 1945 – President Harry Truman is made aware that the atomic bomb, which had been under development since 1939, is ready to be deployed in war.
Fact of the Day: On the day President Harry Truman was made aware of the atomic bomb, he wrote in his journal that “the United States is perfecting an explosive great enough to destroy the whole world.”
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Although other countries have developed atomic weapons since World War II, President Harry Truman remains the only world leader to have ever used an atomic weapon against an enemy.