General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- All students wanting to audition for the High School Color Guard – Auditions and rehearsals will be held on the following days and places. Please see Mr. Madsen with any questions:
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Rehearsal: Monday, 4/24/17 to Thursday, 4/27/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMMS MPR. 6:30-7:45 AM.
- Audition: Friday, 4/28/17. FMHS MPR. 3:30-4:45 PM.
- The YMCA is looking for baseball and softball umpires for the upcoming season. The season starts in early May and is over by the end of June. These are paid positions. There will be a clinic Wednesday, 4/26/17 at 6:00 pm at Baxter Sports Complex. Anyone interested in umpiring contact Justina Spear at 372-2403.
- The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) will be hosting a dodgeball tournament on Wednesday, 5/3/17 at 4:00 PM in the FMHS gym. Teachers and students are welcome. Teams should consist of 10 individuals. An entrance fee of $5 per team member will be required. Please see Ms. Holterhaus in room 202 to sign up. The last day to sign up will be Friday, 4/28/17.
- Yearbooks are now for sale. The deadline for purchase is Thursday, 6/1/17. If you need a purchase form, see the bulletin board by room 303, or Ms. Brownlee in room 303 if you have questions. Prices start at $45. Personalization is an extra $5, and icons on the cover are an additional $2.
- Prom tickets will be available for purchase during lunch through Thursday, 4/27/17. Single tickets are $15. Couples tickets are $25.
- Students in grades 9-11: your schedule requests for next school year are available for pick up in the counseling office. You should pick those up and take them home to your parents.
- The FFA will be hosting a blood drive on Thursday, 4/27/17. There will be FFA members in the MPR during lunch if you would like to sign up to donate blood. You can also sign up at the Online Blood Center using code 5171.
- Any male student interested in playing baseball this summer should plan to meet Coach Steeples in room 317 sometime during the school day to receive important information.
- Good luck to the golf team as they play in the Keokuk Invite today.
- Best of luck to the boys tennis team as they travel to Burlington to take on the Greyhounds. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the girls tennis team as they host the Greyhounds of Burlington this evening. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls soccer team as they head north to take on the Demons of Washington tonight. Game starts at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the boys soccer teams as they host Washington this evening at the Baxter Sports Complex. Games start at 5:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the golf team as they take part in the Washington Invite on Saturday. Tee off is 9:00 AM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- @FMHSActivities is looking for volunteers to work the FMMS track meets on Monday, 4/24/17, and Monday, 5/1/17. These meets are held at the high school track. You would need to report by 4:00 PM to earn hours and should be done no later than 8:00 PM. Help is needed in moving items around the track, timing events, helping with field events, and sorting results. No prior knowledge of track an field is required. If interested, please see Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Wiseman in the office
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at email@example.com or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- The 2017 Community Clean Up is scheduled for Saturday, 4/22/17, rain or shine. Registration will occur at 9:00 M at Central Park. Registered workers are encouraged to return to Central Park after the clean up for a free lunch. If you have questions, please contact the Chamber office at (319) 372-5471.
- The public library is looking for a few volunteers to help on Saturday, 4/29/17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. If you are interested, please contact Melissa Derr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Happy birthday to Elsie Cardona and Carly Wehrle.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Trenton Blint and Cheyanne Fedler (August 21).
- Nachos or crispidos;
- Refried beans and/or salad;
- Mandarin oranges and/or mixed berries.
Word of the Day: Savvy – noun [saa-vee]
- Having common sense and good judgement:
- The student sought help from her math-savvy friend.
This Day in History: 753 – The city of Rome, which would grow to become a large empire, and give birth to a form of government still vaguely modeled in the United States today, is born.
Fact of the Day: Ancient Rome was eight times more densely populated than modern New York City.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Romans invented concrete. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the recipe and technology to make concrete was lost for over 1,000 years.