General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The YMCA is looking for baseball and softball umpires for the upcoming season. The season starts in early May and runs through the end of June. These are paid positions. There will be a clinic on Wednesday, 4/19/17 at 6:00 PM at the Baxter Sports Complex for anyone interested. If you have interest, please contact Justina Spear at (319) 372-2403.
- Any male student interested in playing baseball this summer should plan to meet Coach Steeples in room 317 sometime during the school day to receive important information.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- The 2017 Community Clean Up is scheduled for Saturday, 4/22/17, rain or shine. Registration will occur at 9:00 M at Central Park. Registered workers are encouraged to return to Central Park after the clean up for a free lunch. If you have questions, please contact the Chamber office at (319) 372-5471.
- The public library is looking for a few volunteers to help on Saturday, 4/29/17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. If you are interested, please contact Melissa Derr at email@example.com.
- The Soroptimist Club is looking for volunteers to help with setup, tear down, crafts, etc. for their Princess Tea Party on Saturday, 4/15/17 at the Comfort Inn. Volunteers are needed from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Volunteers are not required to work the entire time. Contact Laurie Wondra at (319) 372-7898 to sign up. Please leave a message if there is no answer.
- Happy birthday to Damon Cordray and Megan Jordan from Monday.
- Happy birthday to Vanessa Golowach from Tuesday.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Nathaniel Carle, Alexis Clute, Aaron Curtiss, Dominic Frantz and Hailey Ramatowski (August 17).
- Happy un-birthday to Addison Klett and Chayse Lowney (August 18).
- Happy un-birthday to Isaiah Richardson (August 19).
- Popcorn chicken or little smokies;
- Mashed potatoes;
- Peaches and/or applesauce;
- Bread and butter.
Word of the Day: Unwitting – adjective [uhn-wit -yng]
- Being unaware of all of the facts:
- The driver was an unwitting accomplice in the bank robbery.
This Day in History: 1897 – The first Boston Marathon is held in Boston, Massachusetts. The marathon was inspired by the same event from the Olympic Games, held one year earlier in Greece.
Fact of the Day: The Boston Marathon is held on the third Monday of every April and coincides with a regional holiday called “Patriot’s Day, which commemorates the beginning of the Revolutionary War.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? In 2012, a “missing” woman in Iceland unwittingly joined a search party to look for herself.