General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Enjoy your spring break! There is no school on Friday, 4/14/17, Monday, 4/17/17, or Tuesday, 4/18/17. See you on Wednesday!
- The YMCA is looking for baseball and softball umpires for the upcoming season. The season starts in early May and runs through the end of June. These are paid positions. There will be a clinic on Wednesday, 4/19/17 at 6:00 PM at the Baxter Sports Complex for anyone interested. If you have interest, please contact Justina Spear at (319) 372-2403.
- Any male student interested in playing baseball this summer should plan to meet Coach Steeples in room 317 sometime during the school day to receive important information.
- Good luck to the Bloodhound golfers as they participate in the Mt. Pleasant tournament today.
- Best of luck to the boys track team as they travel to Mt. Pleasant this evening. Events begin at 5:00 PM.
- Good luck to the varsity girls soccer team as they play at Mt. Pleasant on Monday. Game starts at 4:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys soccer teams as they host Mt. Pleasant at Baxter Sports Complex on Monday evening at 5:30 PM.
- Good luck to the golfers as they play at home on Tuesday at Sheaffer Memorial Golf Course. Rounds start at 4:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys tennis team as they travel to F airfield to take on the Trojans on Tuesday. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the lady tennis players as they host Fairfield on Tuesday beginning at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls track team as they run, jump, and throw at Mt. Pleasant on Tuesday. Events start at 5:00 PM.
- Good luck to the varsity boys soccer team as they travel to Central Lee to take on the Hawks on Tuesday. Game starts at 5:00 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Lee County Economic Development Group is looking for student volunteers who participated in the Tulip planting for a Guinness world record last fall. The group will be hosting an event on Tuesday, 4/18/17 at 1:00 PM to commemorate the tulips blooming. If you are interested, please contact Chuck Vandenberg at email@example.com.
- In the coming months, Main Street will have several volunteering opportunities for students. If you are interested in volunteering for the following events, please contact Cassie Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (319) 372-5471.
- Mayhem on the Mississippi: Saturday, 5/13/17. 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM. Multiple opportunities will be available, including setup/tear down, registration, cheering audience, and timers.
- Main Street Grand Bazaar: Saturday, 6/3/17. 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Several opportunities available including assistance with setup/tear down, registration, or creating interactive chalk art on Avenue G.
- The Deport Farmer’s Market: Mondays from 3:00 to 6:00 PM. Preferably, volunteers should be available multiple times.
- The 2017 Community Clean Up is scheduled for Saturday, 4/22/17, rain or shine. Registration will occur at 9:00 M at Central Park. Registered workers are encouraged to return to Central Park after the clean up for a free lunch. If you have questions, please contact the Chamber office at (319) 372-5471.
- The public library is looking for a few volunteers to help on Saturday, 4/29/17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. If you are interested, please contact Melissa Derr at email@example.com.
- The Soroptimist Club is looking for volunteers to help with setup, tear down, crafts, etc. for their Princess Tea Party on Saturday, 4/15/17 at the Comfort Inn. Volunteers are needed from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Volunteers are not required to work the entire time. Contact Laurie Wondra at (319) 372-7898 to sign up. Please leave a message if there is no answer.
- CaPri College will have a representative here today during lunch. If you would like to learn more about CaPri College, please stop by their table in the MPR.
- Happy birthday to Brandon Keester and Jesse Richers.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Kirklan Boone and Codi Chapman (August 13).
- BBQ rib patty sandwich or fish nuggets;
- Baked beans and/or cole slaw;
- Mixed fruit and/or pineapple.
Word of the Day: Foretell – verb [four-tell]
- To predict or tell of beforehand:
- A fortune teller alleges to foretell the future.
This Day in History: 1997 – 21-year-old Tiger Woods wins the Masters Tournament by a record 12 strokes in Augusta, Georgia.
Fact of the Day: At the age of 24, Tiger Woods became the youngest player to win all four of golf’s major tournaments (the Masters, British Open, US Open, and PGA Championship).
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? In 2005, a fortune cookie company correctly foretold the winning lottery numbers in three state lotteries, resulting in 110 winners and an investigation. The investigation concluded it was simple dumb luck.