General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The Midwest Old Threshers would like to extend an invitation to ll 16-year old females to participate in the Miss Sweet 16 Contest. The contest is held during their annual reunion, which is held this year from 8/31/17 to 9/4/17. There will be an informational meeting on Saturday, 6/3/17 at 2:00 PM at the Old Thresher’s Office in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, located at 405 E Threshers Road. If you are interested, you can follow Old Threshers on Facebook at Miss Sweet 16 Midwest Old Threshers.
- Any artwork from terms 1 and 2 that has not been collected by Friday, 4/14/17 will be disposed of or recycled.
- The FMHS Gay-Straight Alliance will be holding an art auction through next Monday during lunch. Art pieces created by GSA members or donated to the Alliance will be available for purchase.
- Good luck to the JV boys soccer team as they host their soccer invite tomorrow at Baxter Sports Complex. Games start at 9:00 AM.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team as they host their invite tomorrow at the tennis courts. Matches start at 9:00 AM.
- The music boosters will be hosting a spring craft show tomorrow in the MPR from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The public library is looking for a few volunteers to help on Saturday, 4/29/17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. If you are interested, please contact Melissa Derr at email@example.com.
- The guidance office is in need of volunteers to help show parents around the building during parent/teacher conferences on Wednesday, 4/12/17. If you would like to help, please see Ms. Hayler in the guidance office to sign up for a shift.
- The Soroptimist Club is looking for volunteers to help with setup, tear down, crafts, etc. for their Princess Tea Party on Saturday, 4/15/17 at the Comfort Inn. Volunteers are needed from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Volunteers are not required to work the entire time. Contact Laurie Wondra at (319) 372-7898 to sign up. Please leave a message if there is no answer.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival tomorrow. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- CaPri College will have a representative her on Thursday, 4/13/17 during lunch. If you would like to learn more about CaPri College, please stop by their table in the MPR.
- Missouri Western State University will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday. If you would like to learn more about Missouri Western, stop by their table and speak with them.
- Happy birthday to Alexis Elfgen.
Happy Un-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays):
- Happy un-birthday to Kenya Davis-Robinson, Shyla Farmer, Austin Heidbreder, and Cameron Medland (August 7).
- Pasta salad and/or celery sticks;
- Fruit cocktail;
- Apple crisp.
Word of the Day: Genocide – noun [jen-oh-side]
- The deliberate killing of a large group of people:
- Adolf Hitler was a tyrant guilty of genocide.
This Day in History: 1994 – Rwandan armed forces began a genocide in the country that would see nearly 1 million people massacred in the worst episode of ethnic genocide since World War II.
Fact of the Day: In the three months of genocide in Rwanda in 1994, nearly 75% of an ethnic population was murdered in Rwanda.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Hall of Fame baseball player Ted Williams is the last man to hit .400 in a season. He is also one of the most decorated players of all time. What is astonishing about Ted Williams is that he interrupted his career twice to fight in American wars. He was a Navy pilot in World War II and a Marine pilot in the Korean War. At age 39, after returning from the Korean War, Ted Williams hit .388, becoming the oldest player to win a batting title.