General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The Midwest Old Threshers would like to extend an invitation to ll 16-year old females to participate in the Miss Sweet 16 Contest. The contest is held during their annual reunion, which is held this year from 8/31/17 to 9/4/17. There will be an informational meeting on Saturday, 6/3/17 at 2:00 PM at the Old Thresher’s Office in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, located at 405 E Threshers Road. If you are interested, you can follow Old Threshers on Facebook at Miss Sweet 16 Midwest Old Threshers.
- Any artwork from terms 1 and 2 that has not been collected by Friday, 4/14/17 will be disposed of or recycled.
- The FMHS Gay-Straight Alliance will be holding an art auction beginning today and continuing through next Monday during lunch. Art pieces created by GSA members or donated to the Alliance will be available for purchase.
- Good luck to the girls track team as they travel to Washington this evening to compete in the Demon Relays. Events start at 3:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the gold team as they travel to Fairfield to take on the Trojans and Chiefs of Keokuk. Tee-off time is 3:00 PM.
- Good luck to the girls tennis team as they host the teams from Burlington Notre Dame and West Burlington. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls soccer team as they host Canton this afternoon at the Baxter Sports Complex. Games start at 5:30 PM.
- Good luck to the boys track team as they go to Keokuk this evening to participate in the Keokuk Invite. Events start at 5:00 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The guidance office is in need of volunteers to help show parents around the building during parent/teacher conferences on Wednesday, 4/12/17. If you would like to help, please see Ms. Hayler in the guidance office to sign up for a shift.
- The Soroptimist Club is looking for volunteers to help with setup, tear down, crafts, etc. for their Princess Tea Party on Saturday, 4/15/17 at the Comfort Inn. Volunteers are needed from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Volunteers are not required to work the entire time. Contact Laurie Wondra at (319) 372-7898 to sign up. Please leave a message if there is no answer.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- CaPri College will have a representative her on Thursday, 4/13/17 during lunch. If you would like to learn more about CaPri College, please stop by their table in the MPR.
- Missouri Western State University will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday. If you would like to learn more about Missouri Western, stop by their table and speak with them.
- Happy birthday to Leigh Johnson.
- Macaroni & cheese or spicy chicken sandwich;
- Peas and/or baby carrots;
- Mandarin oranges and/or pears.
Word of the Day: Defile – verb [dee-fyul]
- To degrade, spoil, tarnish, destroy, or ruin:
- The land was defiled by the previous owner.
This Day in History: 1896 – The Olympic Games, a long-lost tradition of ancient Greece, are reborn in Athens, 1,500 years after being banned by the Roman Emperor Theodosius I.
Fact of the Day: The first recorded Olympic Games were held at Olympia in the Greek city-state of Elis in 776 BC. It is generally accepted that the Olympics were already 500 years old at the time.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Before each baseball game, umpires rub about six-dozen baseballs with mud from a particular locality in Burlington County, New York.