General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Any artwork from terms 1 and 2 that has not been collected by Friday, 4/14/17 will be disposed of or recycled.
- The Fort Madison YMCA, in conjunction with the City of Fort Madison Parks and Recreation Department, will be offering an American Red Cross Lifeguard class starting on Tuesday, 4/11/17 There will be a pretest next Tuesday from 4:00 to 5:00 PM at the YMCA. Participants must be 15 years of age by Tuesday. Valid identification, goggles, and a swimsuit are required for classes. The cost to enroll is $125.00. Checks can be made payable to: Fort Madison Parks and Recreation. Please register at the Fort Madison YMCA by Tuesday. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The FMHS Gay-Straight Alliance will be holding an art auction beginning Tuesday and continuing for five days during lunch. Art pieces created by GSA members or donated to the Alliance will be available for purchase.
- Good luck to the girls and boys track teams as they travel to Mt. Pleasant to take part in the Mt. Pleasant Relays. Events begin at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys soccer team as they host their soccer invite tomorrow. Games begin at 10:00 AM at the Baxter Sports Complex on the west end of town.
- Good luck to the boys golf team as they play in Fairfield on Monday. Tee off is set for 3:00 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys track team as they run, jump, and throw in Central Lee on Monday. Events start at 4:30.
- Good luck to the boys tennis team on Monday as they travel to Muscatine to take on the Muskies. Matches begin at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team as they play host to Burlington Notre Dame on Monday afternoon. Matches begin at 4:30 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Soroptimist Club is looking for volunteers to help with setup, tear down, crafts, etc. for their Princess Tea Party on Saturday, 4/15/17 at the Comfort Inn. Volunteers are needed from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Volunteers are not required to work the entire time. Contact Laurie Wondra at (319) 372-7898 to sign up. Please leave a message if there is no answer.
- The West Point Community Club is looking for volunteers to help clean up the roadside tomorrow. Students interested in gaining volunteer hours or who just want to help can meet William Wuard at the shelter house in West Point Park at 9:00 AM. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- Attention juniors and seniors – Representative Dave Loebsack will begin accepting invitations for admission in the US Service Academies on Saturday for the class of 2018. The deadline to apply is 3/31/17. If you have questions or would like information, please see Ms. Hayler or Clark in the guidance office.
- Missouri Western State University will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday, 4/6/17. If you would like to learn more about Missouri Western, stop by their table and speak with them.
Happy Un-Birthday (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)!
- Happy un-birthday to David Freitag and David Richards (July 31).
- Salad and/or baby carrots;
- Applesauce and/or apricots.
Word of the Day: Debut – verb [day-byoo]
- To perform in public for the first time:
- The rookie made his debut in the game last night.
This Day in History: 1889 – The Eiffel Tower is dedicated in Paris, France in a ceremony presided over by Gustave Eiffel, the tower’s designer.
Fact of the Day: The Eiffel Tower was almost demolished in 1909, a time when the tower was the tallest man-made structure in the world. Its value as an antenna for radio transmission ultimately saved the landmark.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Al Woods is the only player in MLB history to hit a homerun in his debut, while playing for a team (the Toronto Blue Jays) that was also debuting that day.