General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Attention all individual, group, and large group speech members and coaches: please meet with Ms. Brownlee in room 303 immediately after school today to have your picture taken for the yearbook.
- Any artwork from terms 1 and 2 that has not been collected by Friday, 4/14/17 will be disposed of or recycled.
- The Fort Madison YMCA, in conjunction with the City of Fort Madison Parks and Recreation Department, will be offering an American Red Cross Lifeguard class starting on Tuesday, 4/11/17 There will be a pretest next Tuesday from 4:00 to 5:00 PM at the YMCA. Participants must be 15 years of age by 4/4/17. Valid identification, goggles, and a swimsuit are required for classes. The cost to enroll is $125.00. Checks can be made payable to: Fort Madison Parks and Recreation. Please register at the Fort Madison YMCA by Tuesday, 4/4/17. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The FMHS Gay-Straight Alliance will be holding an art auction beginning next Tuesday and continuing for five days during lunch. Art pieces created by GSA members or donated to the Alliance will be available for purchase.
- The student government is hosting a dance tomorrow from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. The admission is $3, but if you dress in neon the admission will be discounted to $2. Additionally, if you bring a nonperishable food item, your admission will be discounted to $1. The dance is for FMHS students only. No guests, please. The student government is also looking for six to seven chaperones. If you know of anyone who would be willing to chaperone, please see Ms. Jones in the main office.
Any Freshman, Sophomore or Junior who would like to run for an officer for their class should please see Ms. Harter in the guidance office, or Ms. Jones in the front office on or before tomorrow at the end of the day. Positions available are class presidents, vice presidents, and treasurers. Juniors may also seek election for student body positions.
- Good luck to the golf team as they participate in the Keokuk Invite today.
- Best of luck to the boys track team as they travel to Mt. Pleasant to run, throw, and jump in the Mt. Pleasant Relays tonight. Even start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the boys soccer teams as they play the Grayhounds tonight in Burlington. Games start at 5:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the boys tennis team as they play in Burlington this afternoon. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Good luck to the girls tennis team as they host the Grayhounds of Burlington this afternoon. Games begin at 4:30 PM.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The Soroptimist Club is looking for volunteers to help with setup, tear down, crafts, etc. for their Princess Tea Party on Saturday, 4/15/17 at the Comfort Inn. Volunteers are needed from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Volunteers are not required to work the entire time. Contact Laurie Wondra at (319) 372-7898 to sign up. Please leave a message if there is no answer.
- The City of Fort Madison is looking for volunteers to help maintain the city’s parks and cemeteries, specifically in mowing grass in April and May. If you are interested please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The West Point Community Club is looking for volunteers to help clean up the roadside on Saturday, 4/1/17. Students interested in gaining volunteer hours or who just want to help can meet William Wuard at the shelter house in West Point Park at 9:00 AM. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- Attention juniors and seniors – Representative Dave Loebsack will begin accepting invitations for admission in the US Service Academies on Saturday for the class of 2018. The deadline to apply is 3/31/17. If you have questions or would like information, please see Ms. Hayler or Clark in the guidance office.
- Missouri Western State University will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday, 4/6/17. If you would like to learn more about Missouri Western, stop by their table and speak with them.
- Happy birthday to Blake Feuerhammer, Tanner Huffman, and Lorenzo Riles II.
Happy Un-Birthday (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)!
- Happy un-birthday to Ryan Schneider (July 30).
- Chili w/crackers or toasted cheese sandwich;
- Country blend vegetables and/or celery sticks;
- Tropical fruit and/or pineapple.
Word of the Day: Deranged – adjective [dee-ranged]
- Disturbed, upset, mad, or insane:
- The disturbed gunman shot wildly at the president.
This Day in History: 1981 – President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside of a Washington, DC hotel by a deranged drifter named John Hinckley, Jr.
Fact of the Day: James Brady, who was Reagan’s Press Secretary, was shot in the head during the assassination attempt on Reagan. He eventually recovered, but suffered permanent brain damage due to the incident. Brady later became an advocate of gun control and in 1993, Congress passed “The Brady Law” in Brady’s honor, which established a five-day waiting period and background checks for prospective gun buyers.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Major League Baseball (1876) predates the Football League of England (1888) and is the oldest professional sports league still in existence.