General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Tomorrow will be the day to represent your favorite major league baseball team. Wear a jersey or shirt in celebration!
- The Fort Madison YMCA, in conjunction with the City of Fort Madison Parks and Recreation Department, will be offering an American Red Cross Lifeguard class starting on Tuesday, 4/11/17 There will be a pretest next Tuesday from 4:00 to 5:00 PM at the YMCA. Participants must be 15 years of age by 4/4/17. Valid identification, goggles, and a swimsuit are required for classes. The cost to enroll is $125.00. Checks can be made payable to: Fort Madison Parks and Recreation. Please register at the Fort Madison YMCA by Tuesday, 4/4/17. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The FMHS Gay-Straight Alliance will be holding an art auction beginning next Tuesday and continuing for five days during lunch. Art pieces created by GSA members or donated to the Alliance will be available for purchase.
- Sophomores and Juniors – the Fort Madison Rotary Club is looking to sponsor two students for the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Conference (RYLA). The conference is from 7/16/17 to 7/21/17 at Grinnell College. If you have a 3.25 GPA or higher and would like to get some leadership training, please stop by the guidance office for more information.
- The student government is hosting a dance on Friday from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. The admission is $3, but if you dress in neon the admission will be discounted to $2. Additionally, if you bring a nonperishable food item, your admission will be discounted to $1. The dance is for FMHS students only. No guests, please. The student government is also looking for six to seven chaperones. If you know of anyone who would be willing to chaperone, please see Ms. Jones in the main office.
Any Freshman, Sophomore or Junior who would like to run for an officer for their class should please see Ms. Harter in the guidance office, or Ms. Jones in the front office on or before Friday. Positions available are class presidents, vice presidents, and treasurers. Juniors may also seek election for student body positions.
- Bloodhound cheerleading tryouts are tonight at 5:30 PM. Best of luck!
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The City of Fort Madison is looking for volunteers to help maintain the city’s parks and cemeteries, specifically in mowing grass in April and May. If you are interested please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The FMHS kitchen is looking for volunteers to help with the service of food from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM daily. If you are interested, please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The West Point Community Club is looking for volunteers to help clean up the roadside on Saturday, 4/1/17. Students interested in gaining volunteer hours or who just want to help can meet William Wuard at the shelter house in West Point Park at 9:00 AM. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- Missouri Western State University will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday, 4/6/17. If you would like to learn more about Missouri Western, stop by their table and speak with them.
- Happy birthday to Sarah Growe.
- Turkey fritter or chicken alfredo;
- Sweet potatoes and/or broccoli;
- Peaches and/or strawberries;
Word of the Day: Affiliate – verb [uh-fill-ee-uht]
- A person or organization officially attached to a larger body:
- The Iowa Cubs are an affiliate of the Chicago Cubs.
This Day in History: 1973 – The US withdraws from Vietnam as the last combat troops leave South Vietnam, ending America’s direct eight-year intervention combating communist North Vietnam.
Fact of the Day: The Vietnam War was the longest and most unpopular foreign war in US history and cost 58,000 American lives. As many as two million Vietnamese soldiers and civilians were killed in the conflict.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? The Albuquerque Isotopes, a minor league affiliate of the Colorado Rockies, was named after a baseball team from the The Simpsons, a popular TV show.