General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Sophomores and Juniors – the Fort Madison Rotary Club is looking to sponsor two students for the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Conference (RYLA). The conference is from 7/16/17 to 7/21/17 at Grinnell College. If you have a 3.25 GPA or higher and would like to get some leadership training, please stop by the guidance office for more information.
- The student government is hosting a dance on Friday from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. The admission is $3, but if you dress in neon the admission will be discounted to $2. Additionally, if you bring a nonperishable food item, your admission will be discounted to $1. The dance is for FMHS students only. No guests, please. The student government is also looking for six to seven chaperones. If you know of anyone who would be willing to chaperone, please see Ms. Jones in the main office.
Any Freshman, Sophomore or Junior who would like to run for an officer for their class should please see Ms. Harter in the guidance office, or Ms. Jones in the front office on or before Friday. Positions available are class presidents, vice presidents, and treasurers. Juniors may also seek election for student body positions.
- Good luck to the boys tennis team as they take on the Panthers of Mt. Pleasant in MP tomorrow afternoon. Matches start at 4:30 PM.
- Best of luck to the girls tennis team as they host the Panthers of Mt. Pleasant this afternoon. Matches begin at 4:30 PM.
- Bloodhound cheerleading tryouts are fast approaching! Try-out practices will occur today from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. Tryouts will be at 5:30 PM tomorrow.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The City of Fort Madison is looking for volunteers to help maintain the city’s parks and cemeteries, specifically in mowing grass in April and May. If you are interested please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The FMHS kitchen is looking for volunteers to help with the service of food from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM daily. If you are interested, please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The West Point Community Club is looking for volunteers to help clean up the roadside on Saturday, 4/1/17. Students interested in gaining volunteer hours or who just want to help can meet William Wuard at the shelter house in West Point Park at 9:00 AM. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- Missouri Western State University will have a representative here during B lunch on Thursday, 4/6/17. If you would like to learn more about Missouri Western, stop by their table and speak with them.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)
- Happy un-birthday to Heath Hoenig and Roger Mauck (July 28).
- Refried beans and/or corn;
- Pears and/or applesauce.
Word of the Day: Habitation – noun [hab-ih-tay-shun]
- A place in which to live:
- Your home is your main habitation.
This Day in History: 1979 – The most serious nuclear accident in US history takes place at the Three Mile Island plant near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania when one of the reactors overheats. Fortunately, a catastrophic meltdown was averted and there were no deaths or injuries from the accident.
Fact of the Day: The most serious nuclear accident in world history occurred at Chernobyl in the Ukraine, USSR. 64 people died as a result of the accident and it cost $67 million in damages. 300,000 people had to be evacuated due to the accident. The area around Chernobyl will not be safe for human habitation for another 20,000 years.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? Carl Edward is the shortest major league baseball player to have ever played professionally. Carl stood three feet and seven inches tall.