General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- Sophomores and Juniors – the Fort Madison Rotary Club is looking to sponsor two students for the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Conference (RYLA). The conference is from 7/16/17 to 7/21/17 at Grinnell College. If you have a 3.25 GPA or higher and would like to get some leadership training, please stop by the guidance office for more information.
- The student government is hosting a dance on Friday from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. The admission is $3, but if you dress in neon the admission will be discounted to $2. Additionally, if you bring a nonperishable food item, your admission will be discounted to $1. The dance is for FMHS students only. No guests, please. The student government is also looking for six to seven chaperones. If you know of anyone who would be willing to chaperone, please see Ms. Jones in the main office.
Any Freshman, Sophomore or Junior who would like to run for an officer for their class should please see Ms. Harter in the guidance office, or Ms. Jones in the front office on or before Friday. Positions available are class presidents, vice presidents, and treasurers. Juniors may also seek election for student body positions.
- Good luck to the boys track team as they travel to West Burlington this afternoon.
- Bloodhound cheerleading tryouts are fast approaching! Try-out practices will occur today and tomorrow from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. Try-outs will be at 5:30 PM on Wednesday.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The City of Fort Madison is looking for volunteers to help maintain the city’s parks and cemeteries, specifically in mowing grass in April and May. If you are interested please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The FMHS kitchen is looking for volunteers to help with the service of food from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM daily. If you are interested, please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The West Point Community Club is looking for volunteers to help clean up the roadside on Saturday, 4/1/17. Students interested in gaining volunteer hours or who just want to help can meet William Wuard at the shelter house in West Point Park at 9:00 AM. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- Happy birthday from Saturday to Maycee Featheringill and Maizzy Huebner.
- Happy birthday to Zina Johnstun and Katherine Larson.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)
- Happy un-birthday to Samuel Meierotto and Hunter Rangal (July 25).
- Happy un-birthday to Chana Preader and Ryan Rees (July 26).
- Happy un-birthday to Raven Horne (July 27).
- Chicken patty sandwich or hot ham & cheese;
- Green beans and/or pasta salad;
- Mandarin oranges and/or fruit cocktail.
Word of the Day: Chaffer – verb [chaf-er]
- To bargain or haggle:
- You can often chaffer over tickets outside of sports venues.
This Day in History: 1939 – The University of Oregon defeats Ohio State University to win the first-ever NCAA men’s basketball tournament, giving rise to “March Madness.”
Fact of the Day: The most successful team in NCAA men’s basketball history has been the UCLA Bruins, who have taken home a record 11 championships, 10 of them under legendary coach John Wooden between 1964 and 1975.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? During World War II, the US military designed a grenade to be the size and weight of a baseball, since “any young man should be able to properly throw it.”