General Announcements @FMHighSchool:
- The student government is hosting a dance on Friday, 3/31/17 from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. The admission is $3, but if you dress in neon the admission will be discounted to $2. Additionally, if you bring a nonperishable food item, your admission will be discounted to $1. The dance is for FMHS students only. No guests, please. The student government is also looking for six to seven chaperones. If you know of anyone who would be willing to chaperone, please see Ms. Jones in the main office.
Any Freshman, Sophomore or Junior who would like to run for an officer for their class should please see Ms. Harter in the guidance office, or Ms. Jones in the front office on or before Friday, 3/31/17. Positions available are class presidents, vice presidents, and treasurers. Juniors may also seek election for student body positions.
- Good luck to those taking part in the Dinner Theater this weekend. Song go on!
- Best of luck to the musicians who will be competing in the IHSMA Solo Contest tomorrow at Washington High School.
- Bloodhound cheerleading tryouts are fast approaching! Try-out practices will occur on Monday, 3/27/17, and Tuesday, 3/28/17 from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. Try-outs will be at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, 3/28/17.
Volunteer Hours Available:
- The City of Fort Madison is looking for volunteers to help maintain the city’s parks and cemeteries, specifically in mowing grass in April and May. If you are interested please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The FMHS kitchen is looking for volunteers to help with the service of food from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM daily. If you are interested, please see Ms. Hayler in the main office.
- The West Point Community Club is looking for volunteers to help clean up the roadside on Saturday, 4/1/17. Students interested in gaining volunteer hours or who just want to help can meet William Wuard at the shelter house in West Point Park at 9:00 AM. Gloves and bags will be provided.
- Student volunteers are needed for the elementary school carnival on Saturday, 4/8/17. Please see Mr. Ehlers in room 314 if you are interested in helping out.
- Happy birthday to Arieanna Ash and Ashton Hora.
Happy UN-Birthday! (Celebrating Summer Birthdays)
- Happy un-birthday to Tyler Enke, Alaina Gilpin, Katelyn McGeehon, and Jason Meyer (July 24).
- Omelet or teryaki chicken nuggets;
- Diced potatoes and/or applesauce;
- Fruit cocktail and/or pineapples;
Word of the Day: Immunity – noun [ih-myoo-ni-tee]
- Exemption from criminal prosecution on certain conditions. As in:
- Government officials are often granted immunity to enable them to carry out their functions without fear of being sued or charged with a crime.
This Day in History: 1989 – The supertanker Exxon Valdez runs aground in southern Alaska, causing one of the worst oil spills in history. An estimated 11 million gallons of oil spilled into the water, polluting more than 700 miles of coastline.
Fact of the Day: The captain of the Exxon Valdez was determined to be drinking at the time of the accident and had allowed an uncertified officer to steer the massive vessel. The captain was convicted of negligence, fined, and ordered to perform 1,000 hours of community service. The charges were later overturned because the captain reported the oil spill, granting him immunity from prosecution.
Quote of the Day:
Did You Know? It rains diamonds on Jupiter and Saturn.